very basic graphics card question....

Mezzo 19:05 12 Mar 2003

I've I updated my Intel Extreme graphics card to something costing £150 or more, would this improve the picture quality I'm getting on my WinTV USB application?

Running XP with 2.53ghz P4 and 512k RAM.

Thanks.

duplo 19:09 12 Mar 2003

I doubt it... what appears to be the prob with the picture.

I ran a TV card on a 700 duron, GF2 MX 32MB, picture not amazing but i dont think it had anything to go with the graphics.

If your machine plays DVD's fine (does it... it should) then i think it should play the TV fine aswell.

Patr100 19:44 12 Mar 2003

No, The one thing that determines the quality of the image more than anything else is the quality of the TV aerial signal.

Mezzo 13:42 13 Mar 2003

oh. dvd's play fine, but when i try full screen tv the screen is very grainy. works fine in a small window though (have gold plated arial extentions).

i thought a decent graphics card might solve the problem but i was mistaken. what else could i do to improve the picture quality?

thanks for your help.

cherria 13:52 13 Mar 2003

Dedicated external TV arial. This will give you a strong signal and hence you should get a good picture.

Also don't forget that a TV resolution is only about 640x480 (something like that) so every TV pixel will translate to a 2x2 pixel square on a 1280x1024 resolution PC screen, possibly making the image appear grainy.

This is a problem with perspective, we sit 2-3 meters away from a TV but 2-3 feet from a PC screen. try getting up close and personal with your TV, it looks pretty grainy.

€dstow 14:01 13 Mar 2003

My view is to use a computer for computing and a television set for watching television. Using either one for the other is bound to be a compromise - as you are finding.

Even using dedicated television tuner adapter cards in a computer is fraught with problems and almost never completely satisfactory.

Just because a computer and a television use as similar looking visual display unit doesn't mean that the two are at all interchangeable - they aren't.

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

3D illustrator Billelis on how to promote yourself on social media

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?