Vertical bars on LCD display

deserere 08:18 18 Jun 2018

Hello! Recently I bought a refurbished Dell Precision M4800 and it seems that I have an uncommon problem with the LCD display. Currently I'm using Windows 10.

I didn't recognize the problem at first, but I'm pretty sure that it was here from the start. The wallpaper was mostly yellow and I noticed thick vertical bars that were only a little bit darker than the regular color. I changed the wallpaper and there were no bars, so I figured that it was just a pattern on the wallpaper and forgot about them. But lately, I've been using graphic programs and I noticed the bars again. And then again, on a yellow background while shutting down Windows.

I decided to test this problem on my own, so I displayed various plain color backgrounds. The bars appeared only on warm, light colors. Greys and very saturated colors like magenta are displayed fine (as well as all greens and blues), but then on light pink or the bars are very visible. Then I discovered that the bars are also capable of moving around and changing thickness when I move the image window around. They disappear when I change the color. I can't capture the movement on video, but I'll attach photos.

Then I also started doing other tests. I thought that this might be related to the GPU - I experienced something similar to artifacts once on this laptop, where suddenly when using Photoshop, the bottom half of the screen turned purple. I panicked back then and shut the laptop down, and when the issue didn't come back I just forgot about it. That's why I thought that maybe it was related, but I tried to use an external monitor and the bars weren't there. I also ran the LCD tests that display red, blue, green etc, but the bars weren't there because the colors are too saturated. Then I used the Dell ePSA tool (I also tested the laptop this way when I bought it) and it didn't experience any problems. Dell SupportAssist never detected anything as well.

My drivers are up to date and the seller updated the BIOS at the beginning of this year. The laptop had Windows 8 when I received it and that's when I noticed the bars for the first time. I updated the system to Windows 10 and Windows Update shows that there are no updates to install. The bars are visible in Safe Mode.

Overall I'm very pleased with the laptop as well as the display's quality. I could live with this problem because it doesn't affect my works that much, but I would gladly fix it if it's possible.

Link to the photos: click here

Taff™ 08:55 18 Jun 2018

Sounds to me as if the cable from the screen that passes to the motherboard close to the hinges has become trapped. The lid movement alters the cable position and thus the bars will move about or not appear at all. Next time this happens move the screen up and down to see if I'm right.

In any event report it to the seller by sending him the above post. Ask him if during refurb he removed the screen at any point.

deserere 18:27 18 Jun 2018

The thing is, lid movement doesn't do anything to the bars - when I move the lid they're completely still. They only move when, for example, I'm moving a blue rectangle on a pink background.

But still, it's probably something wrong with the hardware, right?

wee eddie 19:53 18 Jun 2018

You used the word "recently".

How long ago and how long was the Warranty that they gave you|?

deserere 23:01 18 Jun 2018

I don't remember the exact date (maybe two months ago?) and can't check it now, but I still have about a year before the warranty ends.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)