Vanishing Outlook Express e-mails???

Tinkey Winkey 21:00 01 May 2003

Booted up my PC this morning to find that EVERYTHING in Outlook Express Local Folders had completely vanished:-In box ,Out box, Sent Items Drafts,the lot gone !? 12 months worth of business & personal correspondence!*[email protected]+x*@#!!!!!! Tried all of the available System Restore Points unsucessfully as apparently no changes had been made dispite my installing 4 programs in the last 2 weeks with specially created resore points on top of the automated restore points.Looked in Norton Uneraze Wizard to see if it had all been deleted by accident somehow - nothing?Ran Norton Anti-virus -no bugs.It's as if OE has been reset ?Could someone have done this maliciously whilst I was online?What the **#@** is going on !!?????????

Tinkey Winkey 20:48 02 May 2003

Anyone got any ideas?

Ironman556 21:12 02 May 2003

Do a search for "outlook express" from the start menu, it should turn up somthing like "C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{letters & numbers go here}\Microsoft\Outlook Express". All your emails, deleted items etc etc should be stored there. If they are, then copy them to another folder, do either a re-install of Internet Explorer (Outlook express should be part of Internet Explorer), or a Repair. Then paste the files back to the same location.

You could also try another program which will import the emails from OE if they're there. I know MS Outlook as part of MS office will do it, but I don't know which free programs will.

Ironman

Ironman556 21:16 02 May 2003

The file extensions should be .dbx and .avx

DieSse 21:19 02 May 2003

Pehaps your view has changed. Go to View - Current View and select "All messages"

Tinkey Winkey 21:47 02 May 2003

Ironman556, thanks for your response.The folder you described above is empty too !

Tinkey Winkey 21:59 02 May 2003

DieSse,"All messages" is selected.Thanks.

DieSse 22:28 02 May 2003

Try doing a search for inbox.dbx If you find it, tell us which folder it's in, and what size it is. If you do find it, I suggest you don'r touch it unless you're sure what you're doing (no offence intended!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?