Valid HTML?

fourjays 16:56 31 Aug 2005

How the hell do you write "valid HTML"?!

I have tried on several occasions, and each time I have failed with pretty much the same problems!

I write a peice of html, and put the doctype, and everything. I then stick it through the W3s "validator" which ALWAYS gives errors that don't exist!

For example:

Line 6 column 6: end tag for "HEAD" which is not finished.

My code (so far - its going to be a template for a php program):

!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"click here">
html>
head>
meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
/head>
/html>

The head tag clearly opens and closes. I get the same error for the closing html tag.

What am I missing about this whole validation thing?

Taran 18:10 31 Aug 2005

<title></title> and <body></body> tags are a requirement for a valid XHTML document of the sort you are playing with.

All I did with your code was insert the <title></title> and <body></body> tags, wrap the tags in the relevant angle brackets and validate it straight away.

Put this lot below your DOCTYPE declaration:

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>

<title></title>

</head>

<body>

</body>

</html>

Save and re-test on the validator.

Job done.

<head></head> is a parent element and is considered incomplete without the necessary child elements which, in this case, is the <title></title> tag set. Without the required child element, the parent element is considered incomplete or 'not finished', hence the error message you are seeing when trying to validate your code.

T

Taran 18:12 31 Aug 2005

When I said to "Put this lot below your DOCTYPE declaration: ...." I meant my code to replace the code you currently have below the DOCTYPE as you list it in your post.

Sorry if that seems completely obvious, but, well, I just wanted to be clear :o)

Taran 18:15 31 Aug 2005

There's an overview of XHTML, DOCTYPES, required tags and optional tags at this page:

click here

It describes what must be included to make your page code valid, and what is recommended to include, as well as components that may be optional.

T

fourjays 19:18 31 Aug 2005

Thanks. :) Makes more sense now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)