V P Network advice needed

caccy 14:20 25 Mar 2017
Answered

I am thinking of using a VPN for use overseas and in unsecure locations in coffee shops etc. I have checked out the PC Advisor survey and think I've made up my mind. However I would like any input from any users with regard to the downside of VPN's. Thanks.

alanrwood 15:22 25 Mar 2017

The easiest VPN is already built in to Opera browser.

LastChip 16:41 25 Mar 2017
Answer

VPN's work fine.

You'll need to make sure you have a router that will accept VPN incoming connections - most of the cheap ones don't.

Personally I use a DrayTek and have found it reliable.

john bunyan 17:11 25 Mar 2017

Last year my granddaughter used Golden Frog whilst teaching for 3 months in China (whose Great Firewall prevents Google, Facebook etc)

Quite expensive but you can get a rolling monthly contract.

Golden Frog

alanrwood 18:42 25 Mar 2017

I use a variation of the available sites and it has always worked well for me. The point is it is just so easy to use. Click on, click off.

caccy 12:06 26 Mar 2017

Thanks everyone. alanrwood, tried OPERA which worked well but unfortunately does not have a UK server which is required for some UK sites. Router worked fine.

alanrwood 13:59 26 Mar 2017

Are you not located in UK then because all you need to do is switch it off if you are using a UK ISP.

Sapins 14:17 26 Mar 2017

Have a look at tunnelbear.com, I have used this for quite a while, hasn't let me down yet and it is reasonably priced.

caccy 12:03 28 Mar 2017

alanrwood. I am in the UK but want to be able to use my internet banking while overseas.

SapinsWill investigate further, but Golden Frog looks to be my preference at the moment.

alanrwood 20:27 28 Mar 2017

I can still access my bank using any of the options for location in Opera VPN

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?