using XP Remote Access

Publisher 10:31 05 Dec 2005

Can anybody recommend a really idiot-proof guide or set of instructions for using the remote Access faciltiy in XP?

My 84 year old father has acquired a laptop and frequently yells for help. I would find it so useful to know what is on his screen when problems arise etc, but he lives 250 miles away!

DRiM

Graham ® 11:18 05 Dec 2005

You mean Windows Messenger? Put 'messenger' in Help and Support is the easiest way to find out. You will both have to sign up for a .Net passport, but it's quite easy and free.

It will help if you're both on broadband, otherwise it will be slow.

Graham ® 11:18 05 Dec 2005

You mean Windows Messenger? Put 'messenger' in Help and Support is the easiest way to find out. You will both have to sign up for a .Net passport, but it's quite easy and free.

Graham ® 11:19 05 Dec 2005

(This may appear more than once)

Graham ® 11:19 05 Dec 2005

(This may appear more than once)

De Marcus™ 11:22 05 Dec 2005

I'll presume by remote access you mean remote assistance. In xp you can use MSN to view your fathers screen and also take control of his laptop. To do this you will both need to be signed into msn. When your father needs help he can simply select edit, request remote assistance, choose your username and voila! At a few points your firewall may complain, allow access on each occasion. Once you can see your fathers screen, you'll have to request 'control'. Your father will see your request and should subsequently click ok. Whilst your doing this your father and yourself can still type messages.

Publisher 11:40 05 Dec 2005

Thanks DeMarcus, that is exactly what I wanted.

It sounds fairly straightforward so I will give it a go.

Thanks everybody else, but I think Messenger would be very confusing for him to use, its hard enough for him just sending emails, but when I visit I can set up his machine with permission for me to access it via remote Assistance. (I hope)

Thansk
DRiM

Monoux 11:54 05 Dec 2005

bookmark

Brylee 06:07 20 Dec 2005

Try using RemotePC, it is a cool remote access software which is really easy to install and use. Any non techie people can use it easily since it frees you form those entire Firewall/Port/IP configuration. Surely your dad would like to continue with it.

PSalsone 18:09 10 Jan 2006

XP remote access is nice. I'm glad you got it resolved, but I have a suggestion. Because your Dad is not the most computer literate (mines the same way), I'd suggest trying something with a 'white board' where you can show him how to do certain actions. I think GotmyPc and LogMeIn both offer it. LMI I know is free, and I'm not sure about either Remote PC or GTMPC. I'd try all of them if you can and pick one that works the best for your particular situation.

-Peter-

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?