USING A LAPTOP ABROAD

steveshute 20:34 14 Dec 2006

I am shortly going to start workin in Latvia - I am told that UK laptops do not work there - any truth in that? If not where would I get an adapter? HELP PLEASE

SANTOS7 20:49 14 Dec 2006

ww.travelessentials.com/department/Electrical/Laptop_Adaptors/18501030166.html
the sort of thing you are looking for is in the link but cannot seem to find any this side of the pond..

SANTOS7 20:50 14 Dec 2006

click here

OOOOO!!! look a link :-(

Jackcoms 20:52 14 Dec 2006

The only adaptor you will need is one to convert the standard UK 3-pin electrical plug to whatever they have in Latvia.

The laptops own power lead will convert the local voltage to a suitable voltage for the laptop.

GasGasOhlins 06:05 15 Dec 2006

When I moved to France I brought my laptop with me...I just changed the plug to a local 2 pin plug (as with my cable there is only leads within it).....all that to say,just buy a plug when you get there and wire it up as you would any other electrical appliance...at the end of the day they have TV`s,microwaves etc there,imported from Japan(and rest of world) just like any where else...??

:)

Enoch 06:52 15 Dec 2006

Both SANOS7 and Jackoms are correct for powering your laptop, however you still will not get online unless get a converter of your teleohone lead into Latvia, using the local size phone jack from your existing phone jack lead

dms05 07:39 15 Dec 2006

I use a couple of UK origin laptops in Spain without a problem. I use a power lead converter to the local 3 pin equivalent. As laptop power supplies are universal (110 and 200-240v) they sort the voltage themselves.

Most countries in the world use the standard telecom pin arrangement of the 2 inside pins (except BT who stubbornly use the 2 outer pins) so you will need a converter, but network RJ45 (ethernet) are standard around the world.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?