Using CHKDSK to correct corrupted file

tallboy 15:34 01 Sep 2008

Some months ago I put a new hard disk in my PC and left the old one there as a slave drive to provide extra space. The old drive (now H) has all the original files (including the OS and applications) but none of these are active. (I must get round to cleaning them off!)

When I run Cyberscrub to clean up my active files (mainly drives C, D) it also looks at drive H and delivers the following error message:

"Alternate data stream finder CSPSerase.exe - corrupt file. The file or directory H:\$Extend\$ObjId is corrupt & unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility."

If I open up a Command Prompt window, switch to drive H and type in chkdsk, I get the message "F parameter not specified. Running chkdsk in read-only mode."

Chkdsk finds some errors but can't correct them. What string do I need to enter (in a command screen or the run bar) to get chkdsk to correct the errors? (It doesn't matter if it erases the files as now I only use H drive for data files.)

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

DippyGirl 16:04 01 Sep 2008

Have a look at click here
CHKDSK C: /f to fix filesystem errors
If boot ptn will need to run during next boot
CHKDSK C: /r to recover bad sectors

Pamy 16:05 01 Sep 2008

Type in chkdsk /f or better chkdsk /p and it will tryto repair instead of just read the disk

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:05 01 Sep 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?