Using 2 usb printers

Clivuus 18:38 02 Sep 2004

I need to have two USB printers(the same models) connected to my windows 98 computer.One with normal paper in, and the other with card in. If they were parallel connections I could get a printer switch box and then select the correct printer to use. However the two printers I have are USB connectors. How can I get windows to differentiate between the two. I can set 1 up correctly and print to it, but when I connect the 2nd printer windows finds it and installs the required software. I can then use the wizard to add another printer, and then I give it another name so I can easily decide which to use. Windows will only print to the first printer. Can anyone help !

961 19:20 02 Sep 2004

Can you get a USB to parallel cable and connect one of the printers to the parallel socket on the computer?

I've never tried to use 2 identical printers and although I don't see why it should not be possible with Me or XP I can imagine lots of reasons why it won't work in practice

My silly (and expensive) (but time saving) solution would be to buy a cheap half price different model printer

Clivuus 19:33 02 Sep 2004

The printer port is already in use with a lable printer, but thanks anyway

jack 19:48 02 Sep 2004

Using 2 printers the same model will cause you grief- I cannot imagine a way of getting the O/S to tell 'em apart whether it is 98 or XP even,
The only sensible way it seems unless you want to run two at onve is to unplug the one not in use, which is easily done with USB.

jack 19:51 02 Sep 2004

Using 2 printers the same model will cause you grief- I cannot imagine a way of getting the O/S to tell 'em apart whether it is 98 or XP even,
The only sensible way it seems unless you want to run two at onve is to unplug the one not in use, which is easily done with USB.

jack 19:54 02 Sep 2004

I had a time out in sending this forgive if you get it twice

The computer will not be able to tellv one from the other of identical printers. They way out it seems is to have a USB gub and HOT swap the cablesw from printer to the other

Clivuus 22:06 02 Sep 2004

Thanks to all that offered advice. I will have to keep plugging/unplugging unless I can find a switchable usb hub ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)