user profiles on XP PRO what are they for?

bigboab y 08:50 02 Sep 2004

On my XP PRO users profiles I noticed 2 entries .. the first one says "administrator"...2.73 MB.. the second says "windows user" .. 1.35 gigabytes!!!.. As I am the only user on this computer ,do I need both?? yes ,youve guessed it.. do I need the 1.35 gigs one ?? Seems a lot but hey, I aint no expert.Advice would be appreciated.

Stuartli 09:01 02 Sep 2004

To put it simply, the system administrator can set profiles for one or more other users, including restricting use in areas or functions as required.

As you will be both administator and user there will be no boundaries to impose, unless you create a Guest User account and wish to keep certain areas of your system out of bounds.

Full details are given in Help and Support under Security and Administration, including Group Policy.

Stuartli 09:01 02 Sep 2004

To put it simply, the system administrator can set profiles for one or more other users, including restricting use in areas or functions as required.

As you will be both administator and user there will be no boundaries to impose, unless you create a Guest User account and wish to keep certain areas of your system out of bounds.

Full details are given in Help and Support under, among others, Security and Administration and Group Policy.

bigboab y 09:11 02 Sep 2004

Sorry Stu .. told you I was thick.. read that stuff you suggested and I am confused.. can I delete the 1.3 gig thing? and if I do what effect will it have? I obviously dont want to knacker the machine.

€dstowe 09:18 02 Sep 2004

If it's not causing you a problem, leave it alone. You can cause much mischief by deleting things that you don't quite understand.

Remember - if it aint broke etc!

bigboab y 15:46 02 Sep 2004

just wondered what needed 1.3 gigs.. however I agree .. leave well alone.. cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?