useful apps built into xp

©®@$? 15:16 12 Mar 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To run any of these apps go to Start > Run and type the executable name, for example: charmap

WINDOWS XP HIDDEN APPLICATIONS:

1. Character Map = charmap.exe (very useful for finding unusual characters)

2. Disk Cleanup = cleanmgr.exe

3. Clipboard Viewer = clipbrd.exe (views contents of Windows clipboard)

4. Dr Watson = drwtsn32.exe (Troubleshooting tool)

5. DirectX diagnosis = dxdiag.exe (Diagnose & test DirectX, video & sound cards)

6. Private character editor = eudcedit.exe (allows creation or modification of characters)

7. IExpress Wizard = iexpress.exe (Create self-extracting / self-installing package)

8. Microsoft Synchronization Manager = mobsync.exe (appears to allow synchronization of files on the network for when working offline. Apparently undocumented).

9. Windows Media Player 5.1 = mplay32.exe (Retro version of Media Player, very basic).

10. ODBC Data Source Administrator = odbcad32.exe (something to do with databases)

11. Object Packager = packager.exe (to do with packaging objects for insertion in files, appears to have comprehensive help files).

12. System Monitor = perfmon.exe (very useful, highly configurable tool, tells you everything you ever wanted to know about any aspect of PC performance, for uber-geeks only )

13. Program Manager = progman.exe (Legacy Windows 3.x desktop shell).

14. Remote Access phone book = rasphone.exe (documentation is virtually non-existant).

15. Registry Editor = regedt32.exe [also regedit.exe] (for hacking the Windows Registry).

16. Network shared folder wizard = shrpubw.exe (creates shared folders on network).

17. File siganture verification tool = sigverif.exe

18. Volume Contro = sndvol32.exe (I've included this for those people that lose it from the System Notification area).

19. System Configuration Editor = sysedit.exe (modify System.ini & Win.ini just like in Win98! ).

20. Syskey = syskey.exe (Secures XP Account database - use with care, it's virtually undocumented but it appears to encrypt all passwords, I'm not sure of the full implications).

21. Microsoft Telnet Client = telnet.exe

22. Driver Verifier Manager = verifier.exe (seems to be a utility for monitoring the actions of drivers, might be useful for people having driver problems. Undocumented).

23. Windows for Workgroups Chat = winchat.exe (appears to be an old NT utility to allow chat sessions over a LAN, help files available).

24. System configuration = msconfig.exe (can use to control starup programs)

25. gpedit.msc used to manage group policies, and permissions

26. device manager: click Start-Run-type devmgmt.msc

christmascracker 15:32 12 Mar 2004

Thanks, adding to my postings

Boluwd 16:03 12 Mar 2004

Thanks >mp

Belatucadrus 16:15 12 Mar 2004

It never ceases to amaze me what Microsoft put into the windows package then fail to tell people about.

©®@$? 18:53 12 Mar 2004

bump

anon1 18:59 12 Mar 2004

All of these are accessable from the start menu. So why bother typing when you can click

©®@$? 19:05 12 Mar 2004

no there not,the majority are not listed via the start menu

3. Clipboard Viewer = clipbrd.exe (views contents of Windows clipboard)

4. Dr Watson = drwtsn32.exe (Troubleshooting tool)

5. DirectX diagnosis = dxdiag.exe (Diagnose & test DirectX, video & sound cards)

6. Private character editor = eudcedit.exe (allows creation or modification of characters)

7. IExpress Wizard = iexpress.exe (Create self-extracting / self-installing package)

8. Microsoft Synchronization Manager = mobsync.exe (appears to allow synchronization of files on the network for when working offline. Apparently undocumented).

10. ODBC Data Source Administrator = odbcad32.exe (something to do with databases)

11. Object Packager = packager.exe (to do with packaging objects for insertion in files, appears to have comprehensive help files).

12. System Monitor = perfmon.exe (very useful, highly configurable tool, tells you everything you ever wanted to know about any aspect of PC performance, for uber-geeks only )

13. Program Manager = progman.exe (Legacy Windows 3.x desktop shell).

14. Remote Access phone book = rasphone.exe (documentation is virtually non-existant).

15. Registry Editor = regedt32.exe [also regedit.exe] (for hacking the Windows Registry).

16. Network shared folder wizard = shrpubw.exe (creates shared folders on network).

17. File siganture verification tool = sigverif.exe

19. System Configuration Editor = sysedit.exe (modify System.ini & Win.ini just like in Win98! ).

20. Syskey = syskey.exe (Secures XP Account database - use with care, it's virtually undocumented but it appears to encrypt all passwords, I'm not sure of the full implications).

21. Microsoft Telnet Client = telnet.exe

22. Driver Verifier Manager = verifier.exe (seems to be a utility for monitoring the actions of drivers, might be useful for people having driver problems. Undocumented).

23. Windows for Workgroups Chat = winchat.exe (appears to be an old NT utility to allow chat sessions over a LAN, help files available).

24. System configuration = msconfig.exe (can use to control starup programs)

25. gpedit.msc used to manage group policies, and permissions

26. device manager: click Start-Run-type devmgmt.msc

where are they ^ listed in the start menu..

anyhow 3 people have found it useful so thats good enough for me

anon1 19:14 12 Mar 2004

I am not flaming you just pointing out that these things are readily available and NOT hidden. Right click "My computer" choose properties and see what that brings up. press ctrl,shift esc and see what happens. Go to start/accessories/system tools (character map is there too)

Secret Simile 19:46 12 Mar 2004

Things like the device manager, system monitor, and disk management are available if you right click on 'My Computer' in Windows Explorer, the win.ini and system.ini are part of msconfig... which i grant you is semi-hidden (you can run it direct from the System directory, as you can for Regedit.

Not wanting to pour beer on the barbecue, but I would just remark in the direction of the less-technically-adept visitors that Windows (being the spawn of Billzebub) doesn't really like being messed about with so if you don't know what you're doing, fiddle ye not...

That said, clipbrd.exe has found its way onto my shortcuts pad...

©®@$? 19:50 12 Mar 2004

i know all that!

see my last post thats why i did not list character map..

all the ones i listed above are not on the start menu, but you have to do a command to get to them, ok the obvious being right click my computer

but still the ones i mentioned above you have to look deep into xp to get to them, so tyoing a few workd or copy and pasting is easier for most of those apps

theres some up there you cannot get it by right clicking my computer etc

IExpress Wizard = iexpress.exe (Create self-extracting / self-installing package)
being one of them, and cannot be bothered talking this one out!

have a look around xp and see what shortcuts you have for the ones i mentioned above

nuff said!

powerless 19:52 12 Mar 2004

IExpress Wizard = iexpress.exe (Create self-extracting / self-installing package) being one of them, and cannot be bothered talking this one out!

Used it on this forum with good use, months back ;-))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)