USB2 Unsure if suitable

JF25 20:20 18 Mar 2005

I am considering buying a new scanner (Epson Perfection 2480) I note that this has an interface connection of USB2. I am not sure that I have a USB2 connection. I have plenty USB connections but perhaps they are USB1. Will I be able to use this scanner on my computer if the connections are USB1? My computer was purchased last July if that gives any indication.
Thanks for any help to a semi-computer illiterate
pensioner.
JF25

stalion 20:29 18 Mar 2005

you can use the scanner on usb1 if it is backwords compatible but it will operate very slow use this to see what usb you have on your pc
click here

Technotiger 20:33 18 Mar 2005

Hi, to see if you have usb2 go to Device Manager in My Computer/Properties and in the usb section if you see the word 'Enhanced' anywhere then you have usb2. In any case you can buy a pci usb2 card (with 4 usb ports) for as little as £15 or less, very easy to fit. The scanner will work with usb1, just a bit slower.

Cheers.

Citrws 20:37 18 Mar 2005

You should have no problem using a USB 1 lead to the scanner. My digital camera requires a USB2 connection according to the instruction book but when connected via my USB1 lead I simply get a message informing me that this equipment would work quicker with a USB2 system. All that happpens is it works a little slower.

Citrws 20:37 18 Mar 2005

You should have no problem using a USB 1 lead to the scanner. My digital camera requires a USB2 connection according to the instruction book but when connected via my USB1 lead I simply get a message informing me that this equipment would work quicker with a USB2 system. All that happpens is it works a little slower.

lotvic 22:59 18 Mar 2005

I'm using a USB2 all in one printer scanner on USB1 connection no problems at all. I just get the popup message saying 'USB2 device is connected at USB1' I just click on the little cross to close the popup.
Haven't had any problems and the speed thing - well okay I have to wait maybe 2 seconds longer before the printer starts printing. I can live with that.

JF25 10:19 19 Mar 2005

Many thanks to all who replied.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?