USB2-EIDE Adaptor

  [DELETED] 00:04 26 Sep 2003

Am trying to instal the above external set-up which is basically a USB connection/mains PSU leading to standard EIDE & Power plugs [Unit supplied by Engineering Electronics Co Ltd.]
My PC (W98SE) recognises the 'new hardware' and tries to instal - asks for driver CD but then is apparently unable to find some required file(s) although they are on the CD. If I try a manual instal (via Set Up) I at first get "copy file error" which, if clicked OK, changes to 'usb storage device installed completely' - it isn't.
Any ideas please?

  woodchip 00:19 26 Sep 2003

Is the hard drive a EIDE or USB it cannot be both it is one or the other

  [DELETED] 09:08 26 Sep 2003

woodchip - the new unit is an adaptor. It plugs into USB2 port on PC and into the mains and gives output sockets of standard EIDE data and power into whch can be plugged a hard disc, CD burner or any other similar hardware. Cheers.

  woodchip 11:40 26 Sep 2003

Did You get a USB2 driver with the adaptor if not then it will not work with Win98

  [DELETED] 22:03 26 Sep 2003

woodchip.....Yes - This is the (Driver) CD, mentioned in my original posting, containing the files which my PC asks for but can not 'find'.

  [DELETED] 22:09 26 Sep 2003

I agree with woodchip, although it sometimes states that usb2 is comaptible with win98 on the box, the practical is usually different.
I'd say you need to upgrade your OS.

  woodchip 00:08 27 Sep 2003

Try this go into Device Manager and remove all USB and restart your computer. Let windows configure the USB other than for the adaptor that you have if it ask's for the windows disc, put the Driver disc in that you got with the hardware and browse to the driver folder on the CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Iglooghost's hyper new music video gives a mutant take on Monument Valley

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Comment ajouter de la musique à une présentation Google Slides ?