USB stopping boot up

antony-332406 21:54 05 Feb 2005

hi
i have got a very strange problem.... if i have any USB items plugged in, my computer fails to boot....
its an AMD 1800+ 256ram XP pro sp2
ive recently fitted a new HD, clean install, and its started having this problem.
if i have ANY USB devices connected it gets as far as the XP loading screen the just stops, at the reboot is says about the boot failure, and whould i like to boot normally, use last good boot, etc
no USB connected - boots just fine, then connect USB - no problems
ive tried the USB drivers and all seems ok
cheers

stalion 22:05 05 Feb 2005

sounds as if your usb is acting as the first boot up choice when connected.keep pressing del on boot up and go in to bios and make sure that cd is first boot up choice and your hard drive second choice do this without the usb connected

antony-332406 22:11 05 Feb 2005

naw, its getting pass the bootup device.... it stops when loading XP ie the XP splash the the blue <or green> progress markers, im thinking its hanging as the USB loads driver/powers up

huddy1710 22:17 05 Feb 2005

when u did your fresh install did you install the motherboard drivers?.. if not do so.. also go to divice drivers when u have got your machine runnining and look for any exclamation marks ..right clik and uninstall then reboot too reinstall the hardware

antony-332406 22:27 05 Feb 2005

motherboard drivers installed, as are all other drivers, no problems shown in device manager, also no problems
when i look in event viewer i do get a few listings ie 'a device attached to the system is not functioning' <event ID 7001>
any help?

antony-332406 22:28 05 Feb 2005

i dont always get any listimg in event viewer, i think i got that when booting in safe mode

huddy1710 22:29 05 Feb 2005

take alook here
click here;en-us;312945

huddy1710 22:30 05 Feb 2005

This behavior may occur if the Lexmark printer management program, Lexmark MarkVision, is installed on the computer, and the Lexbce Server service that is installed by the program prevents the Windows Server service from starting correctly. As a result, other Windows services that depend on the Server service do not start, and the computer may appear to stop responding (hang) at startup.
searched on google..may be of help

antony-332406 22:34 05 Feb 2005

no lexmark software/hardware installed.
that link isnt working at the moment, just getting The Requested Web Page is Not Available
but, i think you do have something there.... could it be something in the USB preventing the Windows Server service from starting?

huddy1710 22:41 05 Feb 2005

4820 » Windows 2000 Event 7001 or 7003 in the System Event log?

If your System Event log contains:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7001
Date: 11/1/2000
Time: 12:18:01 PM
User: N/A
Computer: Server
Description: The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service depends on the NetBIOS over TCP/IP service which failed to start because of the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

If Exchange is installed, you may also record:

Event ID: 7003
Time: 12:18:12 PM
Description: The Microsoft Active Directory Connector service depends on the following nonexistent service: LanmanServer

Event ID: 7003
Time: 12:18:12 PM
Description: The Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service depends on the following nonexistent service: LanmanServer

If NetBIOS over Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is disabled, this error will occur.

To correct the problem:

1. Open Device Manager and check Show hidden devices on the View menu.

2. Double-click Non-Plug and Play Drivers and NetBIOS over Tcpip.

3. Select Use this device (enable).

4. Use Regedt32 to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon.

5. Double-click DependOnService.

6. Click in the MULT-STRING Editor to de-select the entries.

7. If LanmanServer is NOT listed, add LanmanServer as a new line.

8. Exit Regedt32.

9. Shutdown and Restart your computer.

huddy1710 22:49 05 Feb 2005

try this page
click here;en-us;830957

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?