USB security

gengiscant 16:17 09 May 2010

Looking for recommendations for securing a usb drive, an accountant who uses the drives for transporting his clients accounts around has finally realized that securing the drives might make good business sense.
So I am looking for,either a free or paid for application to either encrypt the whole drive or the folders on it.Simplicity is an absolute must here. With this guy turning on a PC is a technological breakthrough.(perhaps a tad over the top, but hopefully you get my drift)simplicity simplicity.
Thanks Folks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:34 09 May 2010

True Crypt click here

encrypt all data on the USB drive (Don't ever forget the password)

Zak 16:35 09 May 2010

Open-source software - free and well thought of and widely used:

click here

Strawballs 16:36 09 May 2010

That's worrying how does he manage with accountancy software. Most USB sticks come with built in password protection.

rawprawn 16:52 09 May 2010

click here not free, but used by many large accountancy companies for security.

Woolwell 19:53 09 May 2010

"Most USB sticks come with built in password protection." Don't think that is the case. Mine don't have built in protection.

gengiscant 09:48 10 May 2010

Thanks folks. I think it is simpler to buy a USB drive which has the ability to encrypt built in to it.

LANDCRUISER 14:29 10 May 2010

hi there i saw on QVC the shopping channel they were just the thing you looking for it encrypt & you had to put in a password to enter you external hard drive app £100 have a look on there web site QVC .com uk,hope this will help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?