USB Port not Enabled

lilliebet 21:51 11 Dec 2003

When I tried to connect my camera I discovered the USB port wasn't enabled. I enabled the port in set up and rebooted but windows asked me to insert the W98 start up disk so it could install the new hardware.

I inherited the PC and don't have the start up disk. Is there any way round this or do I have to track down the disk?

sil_ver 22:05 11 Dec 2003

Go to control panel add/remove programs and click on (I think) create boot disk tab and follow prompts

lilliebet 22:18 11 Dec 2003

Thanks sil_ver, needless to say, don't have a spare disk. Will acquire one tomorrow and give this a go. :-)

Quiller. 22:18 11 Dec 2003

You will need more than a windows startup disk for this.

You will need the full windows 98 disk. It needs to read the cab files on the disk to install the usb root hub and universal host controller.

See if you can beg, steal or borrow one of a friend.

lilliebet 22:20 11 Dec 2003

Have to beg, steal or borrow a friend first .......but I'll try. Thanks v much!

sil_ver 22:22 11 Dec 2003

If this was an OEM PC the cab files may already be installed in C: do a search for cabs in start/ search or find

Quiller. 22:27 11 Dec 2003

Good idea.:-)

lilliebet 22:41 11 Dec 2003

.............. but thicky here doesn't know what she's looking for ............. any clues?

sil_ver 23:01 11 Dec 2003

Note the path to cabs and when it asks for disk point it to the folder

Quiller. 23:07 11 Dec 2003

This may be a bit tricky.

If the files were there in the first place you would think windows would have found them, even if they are embedded in cab files.

The usb drivers are not located in one specific cab file. When it asks for the win98 disk does it have a drop down box so you can pinpoint it to a folder on the hard drive? If it does try driver12.cab or driver16.cab or driver17.cab or the big one driver20.cab

If it is able to access these cab files and nothing comes up. Then there are others to try.

lilliebet 23:08 11 Dec 2003

I have lots of cab files in different folders depending on the app etc. Which cab files am I looking for?

Sorry this is painful but I'm a complete novice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)