USB or USB2 Priter cable?

kingjames 19:53 10 Jan 2006

I have a 2year old DELL XP computer and have just bought another ALL IN ONE Epson RX520 printer without a cable.
Do I need a USB or aUSB2 cable?
kingjames.

amonra 19:55 10 Jan 2006

Same thing.

stalion 19:56 10 Jan 2006

the cable is the same for both it's the usb2 in your computer that is necessary

Stuartli 19:57 10 Jan 2006

Buy a quality USB cable and it won't matter.

I've got an Epson R300 and, for the first few days, I used it with USB 1.1.

I then bought a USB2 PCI card as I was running out of ports even with a powered hub.

The printer, now linked to the USB2 card, works at exactly the same startup and output speeds as previously.

[email protected] 19:57 10 Jan 2006

I think either will do. What did you use before and what does the RX520 handbook specify? USB2 is backwards compatible.

Minkey1 21:03 10 Jan 2006

As Stalion says the flavour of cable will make no difference if your PC can only supply USB 1 speeds. If you have a USB 2 card fitted and want to use new peripherals which are set up to use 2.0, cable makers, such as Belkin, would have us believe that there "is" a difference in performance between a USB 1 and a USB 2 cable, and packs are marked accordingly.

Whether the cable itself actually makes much difference I don't know, but know plenty of AV & HiFi fans who would argue it does in their fields.

Personally, to maximise data flow between a 2.0 card and new kit, I would not risk the boat for a happ'orth of tar and would buy a 2.0 cable.

But I'm always a sucker for the latest thing and flash packaging !

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?