USB MP3 Player

Cyberbia 14:19 17 Dec 2003

I've just bought a Ministry of Sound 128mb MP3 player (Model: MOSMP020) that connects to my PC by a mini-USB connector via a Belkin hub.

I know the hub is working fine as my digital camera is ok.

However, when I plug the MP3 player - which according to its manual the system treats it as a mass storage device - the computer freezes up. The mouse can be moved around the screen but nothing opens up!! This includes shortcuts, as well as items in the system try and the Start button. It wont do a thing until I unplug the MP3 player upon which the PC unfreezes and carries on as normal.

I've checked the USB hub in the Device menu and it shows that everything is ok.

My system is a P2 400mhz, 256mg of ram, running Windows ME. It is MMX enabled.

The manual that comes with the player says that loading the driver is optional unless its running on a Windows 98 or 98SE PC.

Ive loaded the driver on and taken it off a couple of times but no sucess.

Has anyone got any idea why the player freezes up the system until I unplug it.

rickf 14:26 17 Dec 2003

Try plugging it in directly to the comp and not through the hub. Some devices do not work thru' a hub. You do not say whatOS you are using. I assume its XP, in which case you should not have installed the drivers.

rickf 14:26 17 Dec 2003

Sorry I see you are running ME but waht I say still applies.

Cyberbia 15:30 17 Dec 2003

Hi Rick

Tried plugging the mini-USB lead directly into the motherboard's USB ports - but still the same thing. The MP3 player freezes-up the PC until its unplugged.

Any other suggestions that I could try?

Cyberbia 15:30 17 Dec 2003

Hi Rick

Tried plugging the mini-USB lead directly into the motherboard's USB ports - but still the same thing. The MP3 player freezes-up the PC until its unplugged.

Any other suggestions that I could try?

A Cat Called George 15:49 17 Dec 2003

Try going back to the retailer and demanding a replacement. It seems to me that you may have a flash memory fault.

Cyberbia 16:04 17 Dec 2003

Well, Ive already done that twice!!

The other MP3 player I got was a MPMAN MF40 from Dixons.

The first would'nt do a thing and the second packed up when I put in the 128mg Smart Card!!

If I take this one back I'm sure Dixons is going to start thinking that I'm doing something wrong or that my system is at fault.

So I'd like to try all other avenues first before I go back to Dixons.

Cyberbia 16:04 17 Dec 2003

Well, Ive already done that twice!!

The other MP3 player I got was a MPMAN MF40 from Dixons.

The first would'nt do a thing and the second packed up when I put in the 128mg Smart Card!!

If I take this one back I'm sure Dixons is going to start thinking that I'm doing something wrong or that my system is at fault.

So I'd like to try all other avenues first before I go back to Dixons.

Cyberbia 16:19 17 Dec 2003

Hi everyone

Further to my posting - I've just installed my MP3 player onto my son's PC which is running Win98 and hey presto - it works!!

Therefore the problem must be on my PC.

Any ideas anyone??!!

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)