Hot Topics

USB Memory Stick Comparisons fast/slow

martd7 17:43 23 Jan 2020
Answered

I have a Sandisk USB3 64gb Memory stick which quite happily transers films at 30-60mb/s from the PC,however it was starting to get a bit warm when inserted in the USB port on the TV.

I decided to buy another but this is an Adata USB3 64gb stick and the transfer speeds are appalling,between 4mb and 12 mb/s.

Why would this be when both memory sticks are USB3 ?

Flat Earther 19:41 23 Jan 2020
Answer

You get what you pay for with USB sticks, cheaper = slower.

I prefer to use a 256GB SSD (£30) with a USB3 adaptor (£5), gets around 400MB/s

martd7 08:58 24 Jan 2020

Thanks,great idea

martd7 15:30 25 Jan 2020

Flat Earther

If you can point me to a 250 gb external SSD for £30 i would be grateful as i cannot find any for that price

Flat Earther 15:40 25 Jan 2020

You don't require an external SSD, the internal drives are already self contained, you then connect with a SATA3 to USB3 adaptor cable.

click here

Flat Earther 16:21 25 Jan 2020

You could also consider an M.2 SATA drive for the same price as a 2.5" SSD, but it'll require an enclosure at an extra £10 - £30, still cheaper and faster than a USB stick of the same capacity.

martd7 17:03 25 Jan 2020

Flat Earther

Thanks i assumed it was an external drive

mrgrumpy

Thanks but your link takes me to a 4tb Hard drive,i already have an external HDrive of 2tb attached to the TV,thanks anyway

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Huawei Mate Xs could’ve been the first great big-screen foldable

Doodler Jon Burgerman has a great body (of work!)

Apple Arcade ain't what it used to be

Test : le Yoga C740 de Lenovo