USB leads for printers/scanners/etc.......

Madrat 03:16 12 Feb 2004

Hi
I have just purchased a new hp desjet 3650 which is USB 2.0 although its running fine on a standard usb lead into a USB 2.0 socket on th PC would there be anything to gain changing the lead to a USB 2.0 compliant lead or is all this just a ploy to get us to spend more money, or is a 2.0 lead differant in some way and does transfer dater faster.

Please help, brain hurts ,very confused

Ian.

[email protected] 06:14 12 Feb 2004
  ventanas 08:35 12 Feb 2004

Strange, every scanner I've bought, and that's quite a few, has had the lead supplied. Didn't you get the correct one with it.

ventanas 08:35 12 Feb 2004

Sorry, must learn to read. It's a printer.

Sir Radfordin 08:54 12 Feb 2004

It may well transfer the data quicker, but you are unlikely to notice a difference because the slowest part of scanning is the actually scan itself. A USB2.0 cable won't speed that bit up. The actuall data size is relativley small (few megabytes in most cases) so it is unlikely to be worth the expense.

Madrat 15:01 12 Feb 2004

But what about printing is it any faster with a usb 2 cable.

Diemmess 15:53 12 Feb 2004

I think USB 2 is less important to a printer than a scanner. Unless you have a screaming fast industrial type printer, which you don't.

961 16:12 12 Feb 2004

You won't get the printer (it was a printer was it?!) to go any faster with a better USB cable. The speed of the printer is slower than USB 1 works at

Madrat 19:04 12 Feb 2004

Thank you all you have stoped mt brain from hurting. If I had trusted my instinks I wouldnt have been asking this in the first place. I think that could be a good moto for life!!

Remember "don't belive the hype"

Sir Radfordin 10:57 13 Feb 2004

USB2.0 will only really make a differnce when doing data tranfer from one media to another be it external hard drive or CDRW. Printers and Scanners both have a slow element that won't speed up no matter how quickly the data can be passed from scanner/printer to computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?