USB hub powered or not, and which?

Carafaraday 16:31 06 Aug 2003

To save endlesslessly plugging and unplugging (and crawling around the floor behind the pc) I am thinking of investing in a USB hub. I have two USB ports - one of which is permanently assigned to the scanner (which has its own power source). The other port is the one where I intent to plug in the hub - with the idea of using it for digital cameras and card reader. Everything else is non USB.

Powered or not?

Advice - comments, dos and don'ts, all welcomed.

Carafaraday 16:44 06 Aug 2003

Any suggestions for actual type?

Carafaraday 17:04 06 Aug 2003

I was actually thinking of a Belkin as they make the card reader that I have. If I left everything plugged in would that get round the problem of non-detection, or is it more complicated than that (it usually is, I find!). A 'pci card' - whatever that is - sounds a move too far for me, I'm afraid.

Rayuk 18:28 06 Aug 2003

I have a Belkin 4port powered hub,never had any problems.
Even ran a usb scanner[no seperate power supply]again no problems.

Carafaraday 18:35 06 Aug 2003

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll give the Belkin a try.

spuds 23:22 06 Aug 2003

I use a Medion 4 point self powered hub, purchased from Aldi for £9.99.The problem that I had was with a scanner and card reader, which would not work properly using the direct usb connection on the computer. The scanner and card reader manufacturer's both suggested that a self-powered usb hub would solve the problem,and it did.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor View 20 review

How Esports branding got a brand new look

Best free Mac apps

Les meilleurs VPN gratuits (2019)