USB external hdd problem, not initialized.

dangerus1 18:27 23 Feb 2015
Answered

I have a 300GB usb external hdd, when I plug it in it beeps but does not show in "Computer". I right click on Computer/Manage/Disc Management and it shows there as 298GB Disk 2 Not initialized. A box appears, saying you must initialize before Logical Disk Manager can access it. When I click on OK I get the message Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check) If I go to the box to initialize it everything is greyed out. There is nothing of any importance on the drive so if everything is lost it doesn't matter.

BRYNIT 20:02 23 Feb 2015

This youtube video will help you do a chkdsk from Command prompt CLICK HERE if it works you might be able to recover the files.

dangerus1 20:44 23 Feb 2015

Brynit, thanks for the link, I've bookmarked it as I am running Partition Window Free edition at the moment. This seems very slow and I may have to leave it a while (perhaps overnight). I will get back and give the results and if it doesn't work I will try your suggestion.

dangerus1 14:28 24 Feb 2015
Answer

Brynit, I cancelled Partition Wizard as it was taking so long (only 1% after 2 hours) was going to try your suggested link this am when I switched on but the HDD wasn't recognized at all, no trace whatsoever. I think I will give it up as a bad job. They are cheap enough on e**y, I've had them before but this is the first time this has happened. I will tick this as I don't think it is worth trying any more. Thanks for your interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)