usb to ethernet adapters - possible?

knobler 23:01 24 Jan 2004

I've purchased a Belkin ethernet router only to find out that my speedtouch modem is USB. Can I do anything to get around this or am I facing buying a new router?

Rogerfredo 09:50 25 Jan 2004

Yes. D-Link do one for about £10.

mgmcc 10:04 25 Jan 2004

OzzyOs,

While I am aware of USB Ethernet adapters, which plug into the PC's USB port and terminate in an RJ45 ethernet connector, I cannot see how it could be done the other way round - a USB device being run from an ethernet port by simply attaching an adapter.

Do you have a URL for the adapter, because it would be a superb solution if USB modems could be connected to a router with only an ethernet port.

billyliv 10:43 25 Jan 2004

Hi, Have a look at the Maplins web site, In the search box type in USB Ethernet Lan adaptor. You will find what you want there. Cheers, Bill

mgmcc 11:38 25 Jan 2004

billyliv,

I don't think we are talking about a USB network adapter (I've actually got two of those anyway), the suggestion by "OzzyOs" was an adapter that would allow a USB modem to be connected to an ethernet port, NOT ethernet connecting via USB.

In effect a modem with a USB connector being able to connect to the network card in a PC (or router). I'm not aware of a solution to be able to do this, but would be delighted to be proved wrong.

knobler 14:59 25 Jan 2004

It seems that I've got no way out except to buy a new modem? Tiscali don't sell ethernet modems for broadband, but have said that I need one with a Rockwell chipset (Same as their speedtouch 330)56K V902 modems are compatible apparently!? am I correct in the above assumption? If so where the hell is the best place.

I'm strating to worry as I've already spent about £100 alreday! - The wife will be pleased!!!!!!!

mgmcc 15:27 25 Jan 2004

Possibly something like this from Dabs - click here - just don't tell the wife!

<<<I need one with a Rockwell chipset (Same as their speedtouch 330)56K V902 modems are compatible apparently!?>>>

56k V90/V92 modems are for normal dialup access, they are not ADSL broadband modems

billyliv 15:40 25 Jan 2004

Hi, I didn't realise that I was replying to a post by mgmcc, I thought the original post was by
knobler. As far as mgmcc goes, you can have as many adaptors as you like.

mgmcc 16:29 25 Jan 2004

billyliv,

<<<Hi, I didn't realise that I was replying to a post by mgmcc, I thought the original post was by knobler. As far as mgmcc goes, you can have as many adaptors as you like>>>

Sorry. All I am trying to establish is if there is actually an adaptor which will allow a modem with a USB plug to connect to an ethernet port, which is what 'knobler' wants. A "USB Ethernet Lan adaptor" which you suggested won't do this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?