USB drive working fine but not seen by pc

Bob MacLean 17:56 05 Dec 2018

I have a 2tb Seagate usb connected drive attached to my Win 7 pc. I was using it as usual last night and went to call up another file from the drive which is when I discovered the drive could no longer be seen by the pc although it was still powered up and the lights were on. I eventually loaded up Miniform partition master which could see the drive and reported it as having 2 partitions, one of 64 mb and the other of 1.8 tb but there was no drive letter. Thinking that might be the problem I used Miniform to assign a drive letter. This resulted in the pc seeing the drive okay but there was no data on the drive - all of my files are missing - is there a way for me to get them back?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:07 05 Dec 2018

try repairing the master boot record on the drive click here

lotvic 19:26 05 Dec 2018

Could be that Windows did not properly flush the memory on last shutdown. This can cause usb drives to not be seen properly.

Have a look in device mananger: Win Key + x to bring up device manager and see if usb drives have ! in yellow triangle with message:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)"

To completely flush memory on power down, press and hold the shift key down while clicking on shut down (this will cause shutdown to take longer as it clears out PC's virtual memory pagefile). And/or when pc and all ext usb drives are shutdown disconnect the power cord, leave the computer off and hold in the power on button for at least 30 seconds (this will discharge residual current clearing the computer's temporary memory etc)

Then connect all back up again and boot up in to windows as you would normally. USB drives should now be seen correctly.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Diversity is improving in branding - but there's still a way to go

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleurs sacs à dos pour ordinateur portable