USB drive not showing in bios

bumpkin 15:04 11 Oct 2015

I wish to update my bios in order to try Win10. I have the update on a USB stick which is seen in Computer. When I enter bios/advanced/tool/EZ Flash2 Utiity the USB drive is not showing.

rdave13 15:26 11 Oct 2015

With Windows 7 I would be very wary of flashing the BIOS. Modern UEFI updating is done within Windows. If you get it wrong you can 'brick' your mobo.

bumpkin 15:50 11 Oct 2015

Thanks for the warning but it would seem that if I don't update it I can't install Win 10.

bumpkin 15:54 11 Oct 2015

I find some things hard to believe. I can install Win10 on a seven year old PC but I don't want to for a specific reason but I can't install it on a PC about 8mnths old as it does not like the CPU.

lotvic 16:35 11 Oct 2015

I am hoping to install W10 on a new AIO touchscreen I got with no OP Sys installed. Was planning to install my W7 retail and then upgrade to W10. Seems I will have to do more research before I start, having read of some of the problems that can encountered. Ho-hum.

rdave13 17:43 11 Oct 2015

bumpkin , something to check. Open Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings, under the Advanced tab click on the settings tab under Performance. Click on the Data Execution Prevention tab and check 'Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only' is ticked. If not then dot the radio button and select Apply and OK. Reboot.

bumpkin 17:47 11 Oct 2015

When you have done some research as I also have perhaps you can tell me how to install win10 onto a nearly new win7 pc which just refuses to install saying the CPU is not supported even after a bios update. This is a serious request lest it be taken out of context.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:17 12 Oct 2015

some AMD cpus are not compatible yet. what make and model of laptop?

bumpkin 10:38 12 Oct 2015

Fruit Bat, it is a desktop that I made so no make or model.

M/bd is ASUS H81M-PLUS with a Pentium G3220 CPU.

I managed to flash the BIOS by using a DVD but Win10 still fails to install saying that the CPU is not supported.

Any ideas?

rdave13 16:02 12 Oct 2015

Did you check the setting in my pervious post?

If this is your mobo's manual see Page 52. Shows the Advanced Menu. Note the warning. On page 53 of the manual it shows the NX setting, still under the Advanced Menu of the UEFI/BIOS, so I'd check if it is enabled. It looks as Execute Disable Bit is enabled by default but worth checking. If it is then I'm stumped.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:52 12 Oct 2015

Just posted similar information in your thread in the windows forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)