USB connectors

HKspike 05:23 05 Apr 2003

Just rebuilt my PC into a new box, which has all gone very smoothly except...
I can't get the extra USB ports on the front to work. The old box had 2 plugs, one 5 pin (VCC, D1-, D1+, NC, GND) and one 4 pin (VCC, D0-, D0+, GND); the new one has 2 pairs of plugs split into a combined 3 pin (VCC, D-, D+) and GND. The motherboard (2themax) has no clues etched on it. I think I've tried most logical combination to match the previous setup but nada. All other USB ports and hub on a PCI card are all ops normal.
Now that can't be difficult, can it!
Any clues? Thanks, Andy

DieSse 12:03 05 Apr 2003

The only clue you will get will be to look at the motherboard manual - there are a number of different layouts for the header on the board. If you don't have a manual, there will probably be one on the web - if you can't find one, ask again with the exact model number and maked of the motherboard, and someone will help.

HKspike 12:17 05 Apr 2003

Now if I could just remember where I put the manual....
The make is 2theMax and the model is EP-4BDA. The maker's web site is not a great example of web clarity. Tried to finesse a search thru Google but nada.
Wonder if somebody else a 4 pin setup and can just describe it; I guess there are only so many combo so maybe I'll just do it by trial and error. Yuck!
Thanks for the thought.

flecc 13:06 05 Apr 2003

With the usual 10 pin double row USB connector on the board, the two rows frequently have reversed symmetry meaning it's ok whichever way you plug in a single 10 way connector. The correct connections are, looking at the motherboard with the two rows horizontal. The fourth pin in each case is a second earth connector, so for a 4 way, ignore pins 4 and 7 in the following:-

TOP ROW, left to right, Pins 2,4,6,8,10

BOTTOM ROW, left to right, Pins 1,3,5,7,9

What the pins do:-

Pins 1 & 10 = 5v

Pins 3 & 8 = USB- (neg)

Pins 5 & 6 = USB+ (pos)

Pins 2,4,7,9 are ground (earth and screens)

This is the most common case and has always worked for me so far.

HKspike 13:32 05 Apr 2003

Now that's the sort of answer that cheers my heart. Dead easy when you know how, eh?
Thanks, "flecc", owe you a beer!
Andy

flecc 13:47 05 Apr 2003

Pleasure Andy.

DieSse 14:38 05 Apr 2003

flecc may well be correct, but I still caution you that this is not the only layout - I actually use boards that are differently wired. So the only sure way is a manual - You need to be particularly careful theat some headers have the +5 and GND the opposite ways round on each row - some the same way round. If you get it wrong you could damage things - so make sure you check in a manual first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts