usb boot media install question

MJS WARLORD 21:34 28 Nov 2018

I have an expensive custom games rig that came with w10 installed and I got the w10 disc as well . I have just replaced a budget spare pc from the same company , it came with w10 installed but no disc , I presume this was because this pc only cost £500.

So this is my problem , the booklet for the budget rig says download w10 to a usb stick to reinstall windows if you cant do a repair. I use the Microsoft website as shown in the book , the mystery is this , the book says use a pen with at least 4 gb on empty spare , I downloaded the boot media just in case I ever need to use it but the thing that puzzles me is the download is 4mb and not 4 gb and the folder is not compressed so what exactly do I have on this pen now.

rdave13 23:45 28 Nov 2018

Not a lot. From here follow Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC heading. Note it has to be 8GB flash drive.

Personally I create an image, about once a week or so, using Macrium Reflect free, on an external drive. Keeping the original and creating a new one every now and again. Much better. Backups everything.

1]: [click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 08:29 29 Nov 2018

Agree with rdave make a system image or back up the whole drive to an external source you can be up and running again in less than 30 minutes.

A win 10 USB install can be useful if you just want to make repairs but as MS make upgrades to the system you regularly need to keep downloading and remaking the USb iso.

MJS WARLORD 18:22 29 Nov 2018

thanks dave I already put that program link on a pen what puzzled me was the download is only 18mb but I read it needs a 4gb pen

Flat Earther 19:33 29 Nov 2018

"the download is only 18mb"

You've only downloaded the Media Creation Tool. You need to run the tool and select "Create installation media for another PC"

MJS WARLORD 19:42 29 Nov 2018

high flat earther , excuse me for sounding dumb do you mean that when you choose create for another pc you should run the program on another pc to prepare media create ready to boot on a pc that is currently unusable , I read somewhere you need to input the id number of the windows program.

Flat Earther 20:00 29 Nov 2018

It creates a bootable USB for use on any PC.

Flat Earther 21:19 29 Nov 2018

Matt Bianco, that's an old version from 2016, the current tool downloads Home/Pro/Education together along with the N versions, you can choose 32/64bit or have both, so good for any PC, as mentioned.

Flat Earther 22:08 29 Nov 2018

Matt, if you select "I don't have a product key" during the setup you can install any version you want from the USB.

rdave13 23:19 29 Nov 2018

Basically you down load the tool on the PC. Connect a USB flash drive which has to be a minimum of 8GB.

Using the tool to create installation media:

Select Download tool now, and select Run. You need to be an administrator to run this tool. If you agree to the license terms, select Accept. On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC, and then select Next. Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10.

Select which media you want to use:

USB flash drive. Attach a blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space. Any content on the flash drive will be deleted.

From the link I posted earlier.

MJS WARLORD 23:32 29 Nov 2018

many thanks dave your last post explained what I needed to know

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Diversity is improving in branding - but there's still a way to go

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Les meilleurs sacs à dos pour ordinateur portable