USB Alerts

Scubaman 13:36 15 Sep 2008

Hi, I have an 8 port mains powered USB hub and when I conect a memory stick directly I get a message saying that the USB device is a High Speed device and will function at reduced speed when plugged a non Hi-Speed port.The Hub (8 ports)and the USB card (4 ports) have free ports that can support the Hi Speed USB device, all 12 show as being unused ports. How can I check to see that I am actually running all other USB devices at Hi Speed?
I looked at other posted messages and used Belarc Advisor. My MoBo is listed as Abit AS8/AS8-V (Intel i865-ICH5)1.0
Any ideas
Many thanks

GroupFC 18:20 15 Sep 2008

I am afraid I don't know the answer but have a very similar problem - so I am posting so as to follow this thread!

At least this post will bump you up the list!

Technotiger 18:25 15 Sep 2008

Go into Devices and click on the USB + sign, if you then see the word Enhanced anywhere at all, you do have USB2 which is the fast usb.

Technotiger 18:29 15 Sep 2008

What make is your 8port hub, not all hubs are USB2 capable.

GroupFC 18:41 15 Sep 2008

Yes mine says that and I know the hub is USB2 capable as it is a new hub recently purchased when I thought that the old hub I was using might have been the problem, but it would appear to only work as USB1 - I just can't seem to figure out what the problem is!

Technotiger 18:59 15 Sep 2008

Do you still get the 'this could work faster' message if you connect directly to a usb port on your pc - not via the hub?

GroupFC 19:19 15 Sep 2008

Yes - afraid so!

Technotiger 19:23 15 Sep 2008

Then it looks as if, in your case anyway, your USB Ports need to be re-installed. In Devices delete ALL USB entries, then re-start computer. On re-start USB Ports will be re-installed.

woodchip 19:25 15 Sep 2008

If like one of my computer and running 98se the motherboard USBs are running as 1.1 although they are USB2 this is as a result of the chipset being a SIS. In XP they run at USB2 this computer is dual booted. On the 98se I fitted a Card with USB2 Ports and a Via Chipset this enables them to run at USB2 after loading Via Drivers, So I have both USB1.1 and USB2 in Windows 98se

Technotiger 19:44 15 Sep 2008

Hi, XP is not automatically USB2 compliant - one still has to install a USB2 PCI Card or similar.

Scubaman 19:54 15 Sep 2008

It is Belkin 7 port mains powered hub and the pci card is a 4 port drawing 500mA. Both are listed as enhanced. I have just tried plugging the USB stick into the elkin hub and lo and behold I get the message, but no message using the 4 onboard USB slots or the 4 PCI card slots. The hub is not that old either, and it is plugged into the MoBo USB slot. I think I will just have to keep unplugging my iPod, camera and phone cables then, or splash out on a USB 2.0 Hub.
Many thanks guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)