USB 3.0 drive not recognised

Siberian Winter 20:00 29 Oct 2015
Answered

I recently bought a USB 3.0 dual-bay drive caddy and installed 2 x 1TB drives. The drive functions as a 2TB drive and I use it for system backups. I had no USB 3.0 on my PC, and using it in USB 2.0 is painfully slow, a backup taking overnight and half the next day. So I bought a USB 3.0 PCI x 1 express card and installed it in the appropriate slot. After running the installation software the USB 3.0 hub is recognised in Device Manager, but the drive is not recognised when plugged into it, nor does it appear in Disc Management. The drive has its own power supply, and is seen OK in a USB 2.0 port. The PCI card is unpowered, as it needs a 4-pin Molex connection, and there are none in my PC, however I was assured that it is not a requirement for a data-only connection. Any suggestions? Thanks for reading.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:21 30 Oct 2015

duplicate click here please close your other thread to prevnt confusion.

Using a USB3 cable?

I think your going to have to power the card - what spare power conntions do you have from the PSU? you can get adaptor s for sata to molex click here

Siberian Winter 17:08 30 Oct 2015
Answer

I think you may be right. I have actually ordered a SATA power splitter and a SATA to Molex conversion cable. Btw it does use a USB 3.0 cable, the one which came with the caddy. Thanks for your answer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)