USB 250GB HDD not recognised by PC

Philscomputer 18:04 15 Jun 2015

Hi I have looked through previos questions but couldn't find a solution. I have a 250g USB driven HDD not recognised by ny PC. I used the HDD on my TV so I think it will probably need reformatting. When plugged in it appears in Disk Management but without a drive letter and when I right click on the drive most of the options, including allocate letter are greyed out. Any solutions? TIA

Jollyjohn 18:41 15 Jun 2015

I would recommend PartedMagic, it is now paid for software, but at only $4.99 it is a sound investment. Download it, burn it to a cd or put it on a USB stick and boot from it. Have the suspect drive connected and PartedMagic should be able to see it and it will enable you to format the drive, whatever the existing filesystem is.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:18 15 Jun 2015

If you have used it on a TV, the TV may have formatted it as a Linux type partition which windows cannot read.

Either use the suggestion from Jollyjohn to get info from tthe disk or jusk let windows format it but all data will be lost.

Philscomputer 07:37 16 Jun 2015

Thanks. I don't mind losing the data, how do I 'let Windows format it'?

lotvic 13:24 16 Jun 2015

right click on the drive most of the options, including allocate letter are greyed out

Which options are not greyed out?

Is the drive space showing as 'Unallocated'? You will have to make a partition before you can format it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 5G UK Release Date, Price & Specification

The true inspiration behind Mr. Mime in Detective Pikachu - and why it's so hard to keep Pokémon…

WWDC 2019 dates and what to expect

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables (2019)