USB 2 port not found

Bob S 12:27 30 Mar 2006

I have Windows XP Home with service pack 2 installed. I recently added an external USB2 250 Mb Lacie hard drive and a pop-up window tells me that I don’t have a USB high speed port on my computer. Device Manager shows that I have a Via USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller. Can anyone help please as it took 2.5 hours to transfer about 5 Gb of data to my new drive!!!

Marsh Warden © ™ 12:56 30 Mar 2006

Although xp should not require them, it may be worth downloading the USB 2.0 drivers from click here (second from bottom) and installing them. Don't forget to force a restore point prior to the install in case there is a problem.

ACOLYTE 13:04 30 Mar 2006

Im not bieng funny but did you connect the drive to the correct usb2 port?,i have 6 ports and when i first had got a usd 2 device i connected it to the wrong one lol.

Bob S 14:12 30 Mar 2006

Thanks Marsh Warden - I've downloaded some VIA drivers but problem persists. I'll try your link later. Thanks for replying.

Bob S 14:18 30 Mar 2006

Acolyte -- there's no such thing as being funny when it comes to computers, anything is possible. I have 4 ports in two blocks and I've tried one in each block. Perhaps I'll try the other two! I've used computers for twenty odd years but I'm a novice when it comes to the internal workings. Thanks for your reply.

Bob S 15:22 06 Apr 2006

Acolyte -- I tried another port as you suggested and lo and behold, my computer now does not tell me that I don't have a USB 2.0 high speed port.
Still don't understand it as I thought I had 4 USB 2.0 ports. The Asus motherboard manual is a bit confusing,too. Starts off by saying there are 4 USB 2.0 ports and later on in a diagram shows only one or two.
Many thanks
Bob

Mutant_Llama 15:45 06 Apr 2006

I have an abit MoBo with just 2 USB ports built into the motherboard. I get the same message when I connect a memory stick but I have tried it in both and neither come back as v2, they are both v1.1 (and damned slow).

Supplied with the Mobo was a seperate USB connector meant to poke into the front of the case but as my case has no front USB room I have not been able to use it.....

I assume that the message is advising me that while I am using the v1.1 USB I have the ability to use v2 IF I connect the extra USB device?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Why this awful City of Los Angeles job ad for a graphic designer is actually brilliant

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)