usb 1 to usb 2

carvers 16:21 26 Aug 2003

i have a presario 919ea laptop preloaded with xp home and have recently installed service pack 1 which i understood would upgrade my usb1 ports to usb2 ports but on plugging in a recently purchased belkin usb2 port hub my system is reporting that 'the generic usb hub is a hi speed usb device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non hi speed port'.
the usb controller on my system is = ali pci to usb open host controller according to the compaq diagnostics. am i misunderstanding all this or should it show as a hi speed port?
any advice would be much appreciated. i have searched on the microsoft site for info but kept getting lost amongst all the technical speak.

mdshamilton 16:30 26 Aug 2003

I understood that the difference between USB 1 and USB 2 was hardware related, and a software update wouldn't upgrade the USB type.

woodchip 16:31 26 Aug 2003

You cannot do it you need also a hardware update as its a laptop it's no go. If you had a Desktop you could fit a USB2 card

JFT 16:33 26 Aug 2003

Your USB ports are hardware dependant. ie you cant upgrade from USB1 To USB2 with software , you would have to insert an USB2 PCI card , which i dont think you can do on a laptop.Hope this helps!
JFT

malgall 16:37 26 Aug 2003

usb 2 is a hardware upgrade not software
not only do the usb ports need to be changed for usb2 ports you will only get usb 2 sppeds if the device say a scanner or printer is also usb 2
it will still work if it is not but at usb1 speeds in fact a usb product 1 or 2 will work in any usb 1 or 2 port you will only get usb 2 speeds if both are usb 2

carvers 16:42 26 Aug 2003

thanks to those that took the time to reply i thought somehow that it would not be as easy as i thought but i am still on a learning curve so again thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts