USA SONY RDR-VXD655 VHS DVD Recorder compatibility

Nigel Hodson 14:37 13 Feb 2018

I may have given myself a problem?. I have purchased but not yet received the above combi unit which I purchased via ebay from the USA. I have 28 VHS (C) tapes which I want to convert to DVDs. A friend has just told me that it may not work as the USA UK frequencies are different. Have I a problem?. or is there some way the machine can be reprogrammed, if needs be?. Nigel Hodson 07795395997 email [email protected]

alanrwood 14:51 13 Feb 2018

If it is a USA version then the tuner will not work. USA uses NTSC system and we use PAL system. No you can not reprogram the tuner.

I am not sure if it will play PAL tapes. You will need to try it and see.

If I were you I would try and cancel the order.

Nigel Hodson 16:42 13 Feb 2018

Alan, Thanks for your kind response. I expect it will be delivered this week and it is certainly in the UK now. I may have to explore what protection I have from ebay?. The seller has already suggested if its a problem then I SHOULD HAVE RESEARCHED IT BETTER!. But surely he has shipped it to my address in the uk - therefore shouldn't he have alerted me to the fact it won't or may not work???. Hey Ho will wait and see. May I contact you again later after its arrival?. Regards, Nigel Hodson

alanrwood 19:16 13 Feb 2018

To be honest the seller is correct. The onus is on you to research whether the product is suitable for you, particularly as you want to use it in a country which uses a different standard to the country of purchase.

As I said give it a try for the use you indicate you purchased it for but be aware it can not be used for recording off air TV programs.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:27 13 Feb 2018

Frequency not a problem they use 60 we use 50

voltage is your problem they use 110 we use 220 if you plug it in with out checking ithe voltage range you will fry it.

alanrwood 10:42 14 Feb 2018

Hi F/B. Good point. Mostly though devices are 110-240 volts 50/60Hz compatible but certainly imperative to check before plugging in. It might also have a USA mains plug which would need an adaptor.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Iglooghost's hyper new music video gives a mutant take on Monument Valley

When is the best time to buy an iPhone?

Quel antivirus gratuit choisir pour un PC ?