Upgrading to XP

chub_tor 14:34 14 Feb 2004
Answered

I am currently running a Celeron 1.7GHz Processor, Sapphire 9000 Graphics and have 512Mb PC2100 DDR RAM and my operating system is Windows Me
I have bought the Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade and am trying to decide if I should choose the simple option of upgrading over the top of Me or wiping my 60Gb hard drive and installing XP on a clean drive.
Any recommendations from people who have done either of these would be welcome.

Elrond 14:44 14 Feb 2004

If you can I would do a clean hard drive install. That way everything should nice and smooth cos there's no debris left on the HDD to clog things up. I personally installed over the top but thats because i'm too lazy to reinstall everything. Just make sure you back up important files

chub_tor 14:51 14 Feb 2004

Elrond, I'm lazy too and would like to take the easy option. Have you encountered any problems by not doing a clean install?

Elrond 14:56 14 Feb 2004

I dont think so, but then again I've never done a clean install onto a blank HDD so I couldnt really say if i'm missing out on anything. But as I say, I would assume that doing a clean install would probably give you a bit better performance than doing it over the top. I'm sure more people will reply and let you know.

gaz800 16:35 14 Feb 2004

upgrading is not a clean way to install and it can lead to problems with recognising some of the drivers. a formatted drive is best, but in saying that try an upgrade and if you get problems then format and go for a clean build

anon1 19:04 14 Feb 2004

forgive me if I am wrong but you cannot clean install an upgrade. It has to "upgrade" an already installed os

leo49 19:08 14 Feb 2004

You're forgiven,but don't let it happen again. :o)

Of course you can do a clean install with an upgrade disc, as long as youy have a qualifying upgrade product.

click here

anon1 19:19 14 Feb 2004

Yes leo but if you have a formatted disk where is the qualifying product?

leo49 19:39 14 Feb 2004

On the CD in your hand - ie windows will ask you to slip your 98se or 2k disc into the drive for verification.

leo49 19:41 14 Feb 2004

And obviously if you've got 98 or ME on your HDD,you bung in the XP disc,it recognises that you qualify,THEN formats and installs.

leo49 19:45 14 Feb 2004

click here

See Para 7 for confirmation regarding inserting qualifying media.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?