Upgrading from USB 1.1 to USB 2

Alf58 12:17 20 Dec 2003

My Medion 2.6 Ghz (WIN XP Home Edition) computer is equipped with 4 USB 1.1 sockets: two on the front and two on the back of the machine. I would like to upgrade to USB 2 by purchasing an upgrade card (I have a spare PCI slot) QUESTION: Will USB 2 run alongside USB 1.1 without conflicts and hassle?
If there is a problem here do I need to physically remove the 1.1 USBs or would unistalling them be enough? If I had to remove them I would be left with hole in the front of the machine. OR does anyone know if Medion supply USB 2 upgrade kits so I could neatly slot everything in with minium of fuss?

Jester2K II 12:21 20 Dec 2003

Just install a USB 2 card and leave the USB 1.1s in as well.

Djohn 12:23 20 Dec 2003

Yes you can install a USB2 PCI card to the rear of your PC and keep the USB1.1 as well. The new card will give you up to 4 USB connectors at the rear.

You can also buy a card that will give you the connectors at the rear with leads to provide 2 connectors at the front. If you buy the latter, then I think you will be able to disconnect your present wiring to the front connectors and re-connect the USB2 wiring. j.

Alf58 13:05 20 Dec 2003

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?