Upgrading TSST Corp DVD drive to DVD+R

tallboy 09:16 28 Jun 2007

I have a TSST Corp TSH552B DVD drive. Whilst it reads and writes to DVD-R disks fine, I would now like to upgrade it to read / write DVD+R disks.

Can this be done? Is the drive firmware upgradeable? If so, where can I get the upgrade s/w from?

jimv7 10:45 28 Jun 2007

As far as I know, you cannot update a drive to + and -, you will have to buy another drive that supports multi formats,

click here

tallboy 20:52 28 Jun 2007

An insert included with some Memorex DVD+R blank disks I purchased (by accident) indicates that some drive manufacturers' drives firmware are upgradeable to use 16X DVD+R disks - but it doesn't state the starting point. (i.e. a lower speed DVD+R drive or DVD-R)

What are the advantages of DVD+R over DVD-R? Is it worth changing the drive on a 5-year old PC? (The DVD-R drive is only a couple of years old.)

postie24 21:00 28 Jun 2007

All the firmware upgrade would do,is to enable the drive to burn at 16X,not to alter the format at which it can burn to.

tallboy 22:01 28 Jun 2007

Thanks for the info postie24. I guess I'll just have to donate the pack of DVD+R disks I brought to my daughter to use on her new Mesh PC!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Qu’est-ce qu’Amazon Prime ?