Upgrading my Graphics Card to GDDR5

NewToPcGaming 22:29 04 May 2017

Hi guys quick question. I'm new to the whole pc building/gaming. I've recently purchased an entry level gaming pc. The mother board is an ASRock FM2A68M-HD+ with an AMD A10 7700K processor. It currently has 10gb DDR3 RAM inside. If I were to upgrade my Graphics card to a GDDR5 would I need to change the ram/processor/Motherboard as well, or would it all still be okay? Like I said, I'm new to this and this is probably a really simple answer.

Archonar 09:05 05 May 2017

That will cause no issues, upgrading graphics cards usually doesn't require any other upgrades unless you are running seriously dated hardware. The only thing to be careful of is whether your power supply has enough wattage to support the new card. If you're not sure post the new card and your specs here and we can check for you.

NewToPcGaming 10:16 05 May 2017

I've only got a 250watt power supply, but the card I'm looking at is a Gigabyte RX 460 WF2 OC-4Gb 4 GB GDDR5 Memory PCI-E Graphics Card

Archonar 11:54 05 May 2017

The recommended spec is a 380W (see here) so I would say that you definitely need to upgrade your power supply to around 400W to take that card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The Huawei P20 Pro is the best phone for artists, designers and photographers

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

TV & Streaming : comment regarder la Supercoupe d’Espagne ?