Upgrading motherboard HP Pavilion P6205UK

PhillyG76 00:03 11 Mar 2018

I have an old HP Pavilion which is about 9 years old and have upgraded it as far as possible, fitted the maximum 4GB ram and changed cpu from an Intel E3200 to an E8600. And have fitted an Nvidia GT710 GPU. But with this old motherboard that’s as far as I can go. I’ve seen a motherboard and CPU bundle that is an Asus H110 board with 8Gb DDR4 ram and an Intel G4400 CPU for £179. This is a micro atx board and seems to have the same power connections as the HP board. Will this fit into my HP desktop ok? This s was a good value bundle, I’d say the weakest link would be the CPU. But I don’t know how it compares to my current E8600. But I could always upgrade that later. Basically I’ve double the ram and faster memory, can add more later, and can fit a better gpu later. But hopefully it’ll make better use of my current GT710. Dow’s this seem a viable upgrade? As I can retain the hard disk, keyboard and monitor, and as time goes on, maybe add a SSS, better GPU, more memory etc. Originally I was thinking of a second hand Intel 775 board and keeping same CPU, and just adding more memory. But this, I get new CPU, more memory, hopefully slightly better CPU. Or do I spend a little more for either a better chipset board, or same chipset but better CPU from the start? £180 for this bundle off amazon seems great value, but if any of you know of even better value bundles that will fit in my HP Pavilion and still work with current PSU and hard disk but will easily allow future upgrades then I’ll welcome your advice. But for now this seems the best value and easy way of upgrading an old but reliable desktop set up. Thanks in advance for your help.

Govan1x 10:19 11 Mar 2018

Or maybe cheaper buying a new computer.

You have had 6 different posts since last summer about updates for your computer. You are obviously attached to it but maybe time to part with it and get something that will last the next 6 or 7 years.

alanrwood 10:30 11 Mar 2018

It seems to me that this is potentially continuing to spend good money after bad to get little improvement, if any that is noticeable. Save up a bit more and get a newer computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)