upgrading on a budget advice please

hugh-265156 08:57 27 Jan 2005

hello there folks i wonder could you give me some advice on upgrading my current computer. at present its specs are, dont laugh :-)

1.8P4 celeron, 512 pc2100, geforce ti4200, 1x 80gb hdd, 1x 40gb hdd and this is the motherboard click here

it has a good stab at almost anything and has served me well. it will even play games but it just doesnt play them very well :-) the motherboard will only support up to a maximum of 2.4 P4(400mhz)cpu and pc2100 ram up to 1gig max. im thinking its not worth really worth trying to upgrade it.

i can get a new motherboard click here and an amd sempron 2600+ for under £80 i was thinking i could transfer my current memory and graphics card to it in the time being and then hopfully upgrade the memory and get a better graphics card in a few months time. do you think it would be worth it?

i know the semprons are similar to the new celeron d and are not for those looking for maximum performance but would this be much of an improvement over what i have in the meantime? if i get 6 months to a year out of it that would do me. what do you think?

ta.

hugh-265156 10:51 27 Jan 2005

thank you all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2019

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Les bons plans TV (2019)