Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Border View 12:10 06 Nov 2019

I currently run with Windows 7 Home Premium. I didn't like Windows 10 when it came out and didn't appreciate it installing itself onto my computer which I promptly uninstalled and reverted to Windows 7.

I've come to realise that perhaps I should now be running with Windows 10 and would seek your advice on the best way to do this. I understand I will have to purchase Windows 10 disc.

On another side, I'm sure that at some point I installed something called "Never 10" and if I'm to move up to 10 will need to remove Never 10. Would appreciate advice on how to do this because I can't find it in my list of programmes.

I look forward to hearing from you.

x13 14:56 06 Nov 2019

As you've had Win 10 installed previously then the key will be no issue.

This is how I'd go about it. I would first create an image of the whole disk to an external USB drive using Macrium free, Link , and create its recovery medium (USB or DVD) then at least you have that to fall back on. Plenty of info on the net how to but just ask here if needed.

Once done I would back up all your DATA to the external drive as well as I would recommend doing a clean install.

Download Windows 10 from here - selecting "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC". Check your system type - 64/32 bit. Once created - boot from the Win 10 media and when it is on the 'select where to install screen' use the option to delete partitions so you end up with just one unallocated space. Select that to install Windows 10. During the install, when it asks for the key, tick the box that you haven't got one and the installation will continue.

Border View 16:08 06 Nov 2019

Thank you for responding x13, but not sure your response covers my areas of concern. i.e Never 10 and the key issue. Yes it was previously installed on my computer but that was the free version which everyone got, even if they didn't want it.

Will await other responses before I jump in with installation of Windows 10. Thank you again for responding.

Border View 16:21 06 Nov 2019

Think I've perhaps posted this in the incorrect forum and should be in "Windows help". Please can it be moved over Forum Editor. Thank you.

x13 17:07 06 Nov 2019

Will await other responses before I jump in with installation of Windows 10. Thank you again for responding.

That' ok Border View . Good luck.

Secret-Squirrel 17:16 06 Nov 2019

............my areas of concern. i.e Never 10 and the key issue.

Don't worry about Never10. It simply told Windows Update not to download and install the free upgrade. It will have no effect on the installation of Windows 10 that you're planning.

Regarding your licence key, if the the free Windows 10 upgrade from ages ago was activated (and it almost certainly was) then a key was generated and stored on the Microsoft servers so, in principle, you shouldn't need to purchase another licence because you're installing it again on the same PC.

If you'd prefer to upgrade (perhaps because you no longer have the disks and want to retain all your programs) then all you need to do is to download and run the Media Creation Tool then choose the "Upgrade this PC now" option.

Govan1x 17:43 06 Nov 2019

Just do as Secret-Squirrel says, download and run the Media Creation Tool then choose the "Upgrade this PC now" option.

Did that a fortnight ago on an old W7 laptop and it does not even ask you for a keycode. You then have a choice of using w10 or W7 according to msconfig.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Photoshop for iPad is finally out – but what do designers think?

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Motorola Razr (2019) : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique