Upgrade Vista and XP machines with W10 or Replace?

Gypsyjoss 15:57 27 May 2018

Hi I have 2 desktop PC's one running Vista, the other XP - both now unsupported. I need one PC for general office work (no games, no huge downloads)and want to know whether one is suitable for Windows 10 or should I chuck both of them? Spec 1 - 2007 DELL Dimension E520 with Intel Celeron D CPU 3.06 GHz, 2.05 GB RAM 140 GB Hard Drive and Vista Spec 2 - Older Homebuild with AMD Athlone 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.41GHz, 1.93 GB RAM, 149 GB Hard Drive, Display NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405. I hope this is enough info and please bear with me if this is the wrong place to ask. Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 27 May 2018

Win 10 will run very slow on either of them and will cost you £100 to upgrade to 10.

Depending on budget I would start fresh.

Gypsyjoss 17:23 27 May 2018

Thanks for your swift reply. I did suspect it's time to start afresh!

wee eddie 18:44 27 May 2018

Agreed

Menzie 20:08 27 May 2018

As suggested start new, the GeForce 6100 doesn't even have drivers for Windows 10 on the Nvidia support website.

csqwared 20:52 27 May 2018

If all you use it for is general office work have you considered Linux. It's not the complicated OS that some people make it out to be and is perfectly capable of doing the majority of tasks you will require, (office, e-mail, web and a host of other apps) all for free. Try downloading and burning a LiveCD of Linux Mint for example. It enables you to try the OS without disrupting anything you have running on your machine and if you don't like it just remove the CD.

csqwared 20:55 27 May 2018

As an afterthought, if you use a LiveCd, it's a little slower than an installed system because it's reading the CD. You don't even have to worry about drivers, it runs out of the box.

Gypsyjoss 22:28 29 May 2018

Hi csqwared After discussing Linux with my whizzkid son who's successfuly resurrected an old laptop with Linux (I didn't know!), I'll give it a try on my PC. Thanks for the suggestion.

MJS WARLORD 23:04 29 May 2018

glad to see you got a family member who knows how to install Linux , I put it on an old vista pc , it worked perfect but I could not choose between windows and Linux at boot up because during installation I said yes to too may partition questions and wiped out windows , at least that's what somebody told me I had done ….. ouch !

csqwared 20:57 30 May 2018

As far as I am aware Linux doesn't 'wipe out' Windows when dual installed, it just overwrites the MBR with Grub. If you try to dual boot and make a mess of it you can run 'fixmbr' from the Recovery Console which will re-instate the Windows boot and delete the Linux Grub. You will need an original Windows CD to run Recovery Console.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to watch the World Cup for free on TV and online

16 illustration tips for packaging

Best external graphics cards (eGPUs) for Mac

Les meilleurs antivirus pour Mac (2018)