Upgrade Video Card

Newuser618 18:07 19 Aug 2011

I wish to upgrade my video card for my 7-year-old Desktop PC. The current one is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600. The operating system is Windows 7 Service Pack 1. The Mainboard is ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 'P4SD-LA' with 2GB memory. Can anyone recommend a suitable card considering the age of the PC. I play some games but I mainly use Photoshop CS3 for correcting/changing pictures. Many Thanks.

Newuser618 20:03 19 Aug 2011

Thank you rdave13 - I am still bewildered by the choice. Have not been able to find the power of my PSU.

Newuser618 09:39 20 Aug 2011

Thanks once again rdave13 I can now tell the difference between the cards' connections. The PSU is 500 watt - hopefully I won't have to replace it. I have 1 AGP expansion slot (half used shared PME), 3 PCI expansion slots (1 half used, 2 half available all shared PME). 32 bit, Power is 3.3v. From this I gather I have a choice of cards.

Newuser618 12:41 20 Aug 2011

Thank you both for your recommendations. The AGP found by gengiscant is far more than I could justify paying and I agree silly money. I will let you know what I finally end up with. Many thanks for your help and advice.

Newuser618 17:41 21 Aug 2011

The 4670 card you recommend seems to take two slots. Also I cannot find anywhere that says it will be OK with Windows 7. Does this mean that AGP cards do not work well with Windows 7. Would I be better off using a PCI slot.

Terry Brown 10:39 22 Aug 2011

You may be better off getting a new motherboard bundle, as the difference betwen the cost of a new (?) AGP card and the probable increase in memory you may need to run windows 7 and the cost of a new motherboard (heart of machine)is not a great deal.

If you go this route, check that the motherboard has IDE and SATA slots as well as as Molex (White power plugs for your harddrives/ DVD) and Sata connections and (if you still use it) a floppy disk onnection on the motherboard.

You may also need to get some molex to sata adapters link text

You would of course have to re-build software from scratch, so make copies (NOT backup) of your working files

Terry

Newuser618 16:09 22 Aug 2011

Thank you all for all your help and advice but it seems as though I have to think this upgrade through thoroughly.

Newuser618 11:23 31 Aug 2011

Can I please thank everyone that offered help and advice on the upgrade of my video card. After a lot of searching for a AGP card I found this one on Amazon (GEFORCE 6200). I don't expect a lot from it but it runs well and it is for Windows 7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

EE 5G review: How fast is 5G in the UK?

The Best 404 Page Designs: from delightful illustrations to time-wasting games

Powerbeats Pro review

Que faire si le son de votre Mac ne fonctionne plus ?