Upgrade Problems

rover364 13:50 29 Sep 2003

To cut a long story short i am currently (and struggling)in the process of studying for Microsoft 70-210 exam,followed by another 3.
This,as you will know ,involves the use of Windows 2000 Professional.I acquired some evaluation software - Windows 2000 advanced server - to use with the exercises.Basically this was so i a can get used to using the NTFS file system and Active Directory etc.Unfortunately i made an error when loading this software as i never created a separate partition.As this operating system is now running along side my current operating system,which is Windows Me,i am having to use Fat32,so obviously i am not able to use any of the NTFS features.
I have acquired a copy of Windows Xp professional and i have tried to instal this on a new partition.This was after i tried to upgrade my present Windows Me installation and was informed, via a screen message, that it could not be upgraded due to this other operating system on the same partition,namely the evaluation copy of Windows 2000 server.
I have arrived as far as the blue screen which gives you the chance to either accept installation on the same partition or create a new partition by pressing 'c'.When i press 'c'nothing happens,why is this.
If it would be better to just upgrade my present Windows Me system to Xp,how do i go about getting rid of Windows 2000 server from my system?

recap 16:02 29 Sep 2003

I would Fdisk to clear all OS's and start again. This way you can then partition your drive to accommodate both OS's. Make three partitions one for W.Me/XP one for W2K Server and one to run alongside W2K server. The server partion should be around 7Gb. If you go this route select NTFS when configuring your system/s.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

25 book design and illustration tips

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts