Hot Topics

Upgrade to pc and windows10

jerica 10:33 29 Jun 2020

Hi, my pc is dying I think, every other time I boot up I get four beeps but then if I reboot it's ok. Then sometimes when I try to run prog it freezes and I have to reboot. I also get a lot of not responding messages, so I'm assuming it can no longer take the strain. What I want to know is, is there a way to upgrade the pc and not have to invest in a new copy of win10 as mine was the free upgrade from win7 when they bought out 10. Also, what would be the easiest way to bring my pc into the 21st century. Thanks.

wee eddie 10:55 29 Jun 2020

What is the Make, Model and Specification of your PC.

Also, have you ever tried to clean the dust out of its insides.

This is comparatively easy to do and there are lots of videos on YouTube showing you how to do it. I use an old hair dryer and a paint brush (should be natural bristle) to loosen the dust from between the fins of the heatsinks. It's best to do the blowing bit outdoors.

jerica 11:04 29 Jun 2020

Hi, it's got a pk5se mb with an Intel quad core 9650 prosessor,(I think). I'll give it a clean and see what happens.

wee eddie 11:37 29 Jun 2020

Just looked up the Asus "beep" Codes.

4 Short beeps suggests abnormal temperatures. If you are lucky, a cleanout should do the trick.

However, your MOBO was first issued in 2007, so it's fairly long in the tooth. No need to panic, it's probably good for a few more years but, over time, more and tasks will test it to its limit.

jerica 21:02 29 Jun 2020

Ta for the help, seems to have done something, fired it up three times and it was ok, no beeps. Do you have an answer to the second part of my question about upgrading?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:34 29 Jun 2020

Also, what would be the easiest way to bring my pc into the 21st century. Thanks.

Probably not worth upgrading a 13 yr old machine money would best go towards a new one.

Depending on what you use it for the old machine could still be capable for office work browsing etc. Its only the gamers that really need a fast machine. Video editing also takes up lots of cpu / graphics power and memory.

A good second hand machine just a couple of years old from a reputable supplier can save lots of money for the none heavy PC user.

jerica 08:29 30 Jun 2020

OK, thanks.

Secret-Squirrel 09:24 30 Jun 2020

.......every other time I boot up I get four beeps.........

Here are the beep codes for your motherboard:

Yours is obviously not an overheating problem because you're able to boot up the second time around (when the PC's even warmer).

If you are concerned about internal temperatures then I can recommend some free temperature-monitoring software. Use this first before opening up your computer and risk damaging it by cleaning its insides.

Personally I don't think it's worth spending money on upgrades for a PC that's around 12 years old. If you buy a new PC then it'll come with Windows 10 preloaded.

wee eddie 09:28 30 Jun 2020

Jerica: There are several posts here telling how to Upgrade to Windows 10, from Windows 7, for nothing.

However, first you must check as to the suitability of your PC. Is it's Specification sufficient? I believe that this will do the business znet article.

Initially, you will also need lots of free space on your Hard Drive. I think about 30GBs

jerica 11:29 03 Jul 2020

I,m running win10 now, what I want to know is can I upgrade the cpu and mb and reinstall the present win10. I know I'm old but I want to keep the optical drives as they are very useful but hardly any pc's I've looked at seen to have them now. It seems to me that the best way is to upgrade the mb and cpu and then reinstall win10. I've read a couple of articles that say it's possible but I'd like the opinion of the clever buggers on this site.

alanrwood 12:31 03 Jul 2020

You might also have to replace the memory on a new M/B.

Also check the connection type (IDE or SATA) as more modern M/Bs do not support IDE which means a new SATA Optical Drive as well.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

LG gram 14 (2020) review

Best art and design exhibitions still happening in 2020

'Price rise' for iPhone 12 despite lack of accessories

Les meilleurs smartphones Xiaomi (2020)