Upgrade or just get something new?

Fateful Shadow 23:08 21 Jul 2004

My dad wants to upgrade our WinME computer from the 'outdated machine' that it is (it was bought 4 years ago) to something faster, more reliable, etc.

Anyway, he's asked me to look around at upgrades, but he doesn't just mean going from ME to XP...he means that, plus more RAM, plus a network card, plus a better graphics card, PLUS a beeter sound card AAAND a faster processor!!! Ok, to some of you that could sound 'dead easy, no problem' but to me it'll be a bit of struggle :P

Do you think it would be better and more cost effective just to get a new system instead of putting all this stuff into our existing PC? If it is, can you just buy the towers with all of the hardware inside...no peripherals?

Any suggestions would be a great help. Thanks :)

tony1160 23:18 21 Jul 2004

more info would be better,,, what spec is the pc you currently have

Fateful Shadow 23:31 21 Jul 2004

Win ME, 128MB RAM, 1.3GHz, Pentium 3, Creative Labs sound card...that's all I can remember at the moment...any ideas?

tony1160 23:44 21 Jul 2004

possible cheaper to get new system as you'll find, one part such as CPU needing a new mother board etc etc etc

Pesala 23:58 21 Jul 2004

For only £200 ex VAT you can get a base unit click here

No OS, no monitor. Just the basics, but much better value than upgrading. Lots of options for different systems.

jack 08:35 22 Jul 2004

Get new definitely.
'Upgrading' can so often downgrade performance

Proprietry machines are carefully designing with a minimal set of components to runoptimately on a given O/S system, there is little room to
increase the spec except maybe memory, or the odd card or two.- They have to make a profit after all

I have so often been asked to look at an underperforming machine -especially laptops
only to find a lable on the machine body
with the words Intel Inside disgined for Windows 95 and see that is is infact running,
sorry, crawling along with Windows 98SE

Yup get new or if the machine is 4 years ols as you say go to someone like click here and get last yearss
models halfprice.

jack 08:36 22 Jul 2004

Get new definitely.
'Upgrading' can so often downgrade performance

Proprietry machines are carefully designing with a minimal set of components to runoptimately on a given O/S system, there is little room to
increase the spec except maybe memory, or the odd card or two.- They have to make a profit after all

I have so often been asked to look at an underperforming machine -especially laptops
only to find a lable on the machine body
with the words Intel Inside disgined for Windows 95 and see that is is infact running,
sorry, crawling along with Windows 98SE

Yup get new or if the machine is 4 years old as you say go to someone like click here and get last years
models halfprice.

Sethhaniel 08:52 22 Jul 2004

I've just upgraded this year from a 223mhz Win98
which I've published two quarterly magazines using DTP and no problems for the last 6 years.(That had replaced a 386 which did the same job for the four prior years)
My New 'which I Thought' was all singing all dancing 2.6ghz XP - until I tried a games 'DEMO' to find 256MB ram not enough Graphics card not supported and the list goes on and on - and that was just for a 'demo'game -now come on
If you've managed for four years with WinME the machine must have been better than my original two put together - So think what are you using it for And if not a gamer don't fall for the neverending 'specs' to keep up with

Fateful Shadow 21:47 23 Jul 2004

I've ahd a look through them and I've got back to my dad. To be honest, we both think a new system is the best. The reason is because it's, well, not on it's 'last legs' but it is old, slow, and of course my dad just wants to have better stuff :P

Anybody know a good shop where you can get a the base unit w/OS, drives, good sound/graphics card? I've had a look through the shops you suggested Jack and Pesala, but I'd like to see some others before getting my dad to have a look.

Thanks again :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?