Upgrade or buy new system?

purplesmiley 14:05 08 Dec 2005

I have a Time desktop PC which is about 2 years old. I am thinking of upgrading or buying a new pc but need to find out what my current system is so I can decide which is the best/cheapest plan. What is the easiest way of finding out what my current processor/memory/HD etc is?

What is the minimum spec pc I should be looking to buy that will last a while? I have less than £1k to spend and pref less than £500! LOL

If I were to upgrade what spec should I be aiming for? The same as if I were buying new?

I want a new pc as I am due to start a multimedia course in the New Year and want to be able to run bigger programs and have more storage space (bigger HD)

PaulB2005 14:14 08 Dec 2005

What's the model number?

purplesmiley 14:16 08 Dec 2005

umm I don't know - where will I find that? <blush>

Diodorus Siculus 14:34 08 Dec 2005

click here
Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management

Get everest and it will tell you all that you have - processor, motherboard, memory (type and quantity), hard disk space and so on.

From that you will will be able to determine if an upgrade is cost effective.

Diodorus Siculus 14:38 08 Dec 2005

When you run everest, you get the option to create a report - create a system summary, plain text report and post the first part here here. It will give people something to go on.

Diemmess 17:00 08 Dec 2005

Extra RAM within the limits set by your motherboard.
Probably the best way to speed up any system and mutiple file handling at the same time.

You must do as the others say and find out what you have now, before attempting to change it.

Extra HD space is easy.
Can almost certainly be achieved with an extra HD. Low cost and minimal interference with the box. This will only give extra space for any work. It does not speed anything up.

purplesmiley 17:32 08 Dec 2005

didnt get Everest cos you had to pay for it (and I'm skint LOL) but got Fresh Diagnose instead.

does this info help?

AMD Athlon 2014 MHz
Motherboard - 6A6LVM4D MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL
Memory - 256 MB SDRAM (2 memory slots, max 256mb per slot)
PCI slots – 32bit - 1 in use, 3 available (support PME)
AGP slot – 32bit – 1 available
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
80Gb HD

Diemmess 17:45 08 Dec 2005

Sorry about Everest, I see the freebie is discontinued!
Never mind you have the info. we all wanted to hear. - assume you are using XP?

RAM you could expect a staggering imptovement if you added an extra 512Mb RAM

The HD is up to you but no need for going silly sizes.

Let Crucial offer the type of RAM you need. Visit their site and "fill out the form"

PaulB2005 17:50 08 Dec 2005

"I want a new pc as I am due to start a multimedia course in the New Year and want to be able to run bigger programs and have more storage space (bigger HD)"

What EXACTLY do you want to do with the machine? Play games, edit video, surf the net?

From the info so far i would double the RAM to 512 Mb ((2 memory slots, max 256mb per slot)) and add a bigger Hard drive. Max £300.

"AGP slot – 32bit – 1 available
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 "

Is it on board graphics or PCI card?

-----

However the motherbaord doesn't allow much scope for upgrades. I'd rather put 1 Gb RAM in.

PaulB2005 17:51 08 Dec 2005

However the motherbaord doesn't allow much scope for upgrades. I'd rather put 1 Gb RAM in, but can't.

purplesmiley 17:55 08 Dec 2005

I only have 2 memory slots (one in use with 256mb RAM) and, told by Diagnose, max 256mb per slot.

So does that mean that I can only upgrade to 512mb total? (by buying another 256mb RAM)

I did the system scan on Crucial and they gave me several options from 1GB down to 128mb

I'm confused!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?