Upgrade NVIDIA GTX 560SE graphics

Ian in Northampton 18:40 07 Nov 2013
Answered

My son has a GTX560SE graphics card. For Christmas, he's looking to upgrade it. What would be a good upgrade (NVIDIA) that would give him worthwhile additional graphics performance for e.g. Battlefield 4 at a reasonable price? And: is he likely to find himself limited by the fact that he 'only' has an AMD Bulldozer FX4100 quad core processor (which we can't afford to upgrade at the same time as the graphics card)?

Ian in Northampton 13:31 08 Nov 2013

Thanksrdav13 - that's an interesting site. Anyone else have any recommendations? I haven't seen our gaming guru Chronos around for a while...

martd7 22:47 08 Nov 2013

Rdave13 when did that occur with chronos?

noticed for some time he was missing

martd7 23:20 08 Nov 2013

I guess so ,he did have his fair share of warnings though,yes its a shame

martd7 23:23 08 Nov 2013

Ian of northampton

i upgraded on the advise of chronos to a gtx 660 and couldn't be happier,bf4 is amazing using this card,the visuals are superb

Ian in Northampton 08:33 09 Nov 2013

I sensed something like that might have happened with Chronos. He was a great resource - very knowledgeable - but was often quick to express his frustrations with the site. Shame.

Thanks both for your continuing help. rdave13: I'm fairly confident that the PC was originally fitted with a decent name brand, high wattage PSU - but I'll check.

Mart7: thanks - I'll check out the GTX660.

martd7 11:09 09 Nov 2013

If you decide on the gtx 660 this is a good deal you receive 2 new games with the card,assasins creed blackflag and splintercell blacklist,digital download i would presume

click here

Ian in Northampton 17:53 09 Nov 2013

retep888™, many thanks.

Not his budget - mine... :-( He wants it for Christmas. I really don't want to spend more than £200.

It's a Coolermaster 500w PSU. I don't know any more about it than that. However, the research I've done so far tells me that the GTX660 (if that's where we end up) actually draws less power than the GTX560SE. I know wattage isn't everything, but...

I guess it's kind of a budget PC. It cost me £450 a year ago for the quad core Bulldozer, GTX560SE, 8GB memory, 1TB disk, decent case, no OS.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3. 8GB RAM.

The monitor is a 32” HD-ready (i.e. not 1,920 x 1,080) LCD TV.

Not sure about case dimensions, but it’s a largeish case – mid-size at worst, full-size at best.

Btw: I have a preference for NVIDIA over Radeon.

The PC in question, by the way, is here in updated form (different mobo, GTX650…)

Ian in Northampton 18:04 09 Nov 2013

mart7: it certainly is - I can't find a better price than that anywhere.

martd7 21:00 09 Nov 2013

my pc has a corsair 450 watt and it runs fine with the gtx 660,its not always about wattage more about the quality as retep888 mentions

martd7 22:58 09 Nov 2013

That is correct rdave13 but my pc supplier said even at full stress the power draw on the graphics card alone is sufficient with a decent 450w supply,they could have ripped me off and said its no good buy a new one but they didnt and so far its been ok,the pc case doesnt even seem to get warm when gaming for a few hours non stop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

The art projects making this 2019 General Election more bearable

Funny things to ask Siri

Test : LIZ, la bouteille connectée française de NOERDEN