Upgrade Lappy or buy £480 new one-Which one please

buel 20:42 14 Aug 2009

Hello. Please can i have some people's advice?
Im not sure whether to upgrade my laptop which is a 3 year old Medion MD96032 Intel Celeron CPU [email protected] ghz, i upgraded the Ram to 1.5gb of Ram and it has a 40gb Hard Drive.
I was planning on putting in 4gb of Ram and maybe putting a ssd hard drive in it and obviously putting a fresh XP on.

my other choice is spending £480 on a Sony Vaio VGN-NS20J (as advertised in the latest Pc Advisor) and then a bit more on an XP licence (i know, i know!!)
It has a 2ghz Intel core 2 Duo Mobile T4200, 3Gb Ram, 250Gb Hard drive.

Please tell me what you think?
Thank you!!

GaT7 20:48 14 Aug 2009

Hi buel,

Would depend on what you use it for?

If it's only for a bit of surfing & basic tasks, then upgrading the old one with a larger hard drive [rather than a very expensive(?) SSD], some more RAM & a fresh OS install could work wonders.

And save you £450-500 you were thinking on the new laptop & a XP license. G

kindly 20:49 14 Aug 2009

Hi buel,
I would just go for the new lap top. The other one being three years old will be getting a bit slow I guess. You could try to put a linux OS on it for yourself to practise on. You could sell it and get a couple pounds back. I would try the Linux OS myself just to see if it is as easy as some people say it is to operate.
After saying that, if you get a new one you can pre order the new windows system and get it a cheap price when it comes out.

rdave13 20:53 14 Aug 2009

Personally I'd buy the Vaio and use the older laptop as a backup machine. Why not Vista with the Windows 7 upgrade you'll certainly get with a new machine? That would be my choice but it's up to you.
Another choice would be to wait until W7 is preinstalled later on this year.

GaT7 20:58 14 Aug 2009

"You could sell it and get a couple pounds back."

Hey, I'll have it for that much & pay for the postage too ;-), G

buel 21:02 14 Aug 2009

Hello there Crossbow7, kindly and rdave13, thank you for the help! Hmmm..well to be honest id be burning a lot more DVDs of my favourite clips (Alan Partridge, Star Trek etc etc) if the Medion had the processor power but it does stuggle if the truth be told. I like the idea of trying the Linux approach, i may well give that a go! Thank you too for the advice about the ssd, i hadn't really thought of the price. Have any of you used a pc with a ssd? Id be interested in hearing if they are that much quicker?
Thank you again!!

Audio~~Chip 22:04 14 Aug 2009

you could get a Acer with a T7200 2.0GHz, 250GB HDD 17" Screen. Have a look on Amazon.co.uk

buel 11:11 15 Aug 2009

Is the Acer with a T7200 and 250gb that much of a better laptop then please?
(the only reason i am thinking of the Sony is that it was recommended in the latest Pc Advisor?)

GaT7 11:20 15 Aug 2009

A few 17" Toshiba ones to consider, from £350-450:

Toshiba L350D-201 QL-62 click here
Toshiba L350-21Q T3000 click here
Toshiba L350-235 T4200 click here

Audio~~Chip, do you have a link to that laptop please? G

buel 11:41 16 Aug 2009

Thank you Crossbow7, are these laptops better than the Sony in the latest edition of Pc Advisor that i mentioned?

buel 21:22 16 Aug 2009

Thank you Crossbow7, are these laptops better than the Sony in the latest edition of Pc Advisor that i mentioned?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)