Upgrade Graphics Card

LoneWolf1507 15:08 20 Feb 2007

Hi All

I am looking to upgrade my graphics card due to problems with my current one. If I have it the refresh rate turned on, my screen keeps shutting off and sometimes shuts the computer down. On restart I get a message saying that I have a problem with graphics system and can resolve it by reducing the refresh rate, increasing it at a later date. I currently run a "ATI Radeon GHz 7500 128MB DDR(64MB)", I have been to their web site to see if there are any new drivers I could download. The only one I can seem to get directed to is the Catalyst Software Suite, I have downloaded this and it make the flickering worse and crashes my computer more often.

I sent an email to click here to ask their advice. The reply I got "With regards to the type of GFX card that you can fit in your PC you would need to refer to your Motherboard's details either on their Technical support or via their website. They should also be able to tell you re compatibility issues". I have read a few other queries on the forum about this and used Belarc Advisor scan on my system, the details listed below.

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-8ST800 1.x
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 02/14/2003

I have been to click here to get the information, but they don't have anything about the above motherboard.

I use my computer mainly for surfing the web, database and word processing, photo editing and limited gaming, also starting to do some web design.

The remainder parts of my system that might be of use is:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

Processor: 2.67 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

RAM: 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' has 512 MB

Drives: 160.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
141.13 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-348B [CD-ROM drive]
WU4513C VEW512B SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

IOMEGA ZIP 100 USB Device [Hard drive] (98 MB) -- drive 1
WDC WD1600JB-00GVC0 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAL98677507, rev 08.02D08, SMART Status: Healthy

I hope there is someone on here that can help?

Regards
Andy Richards

filthpig 15:12 20 Feb 2007

i recently bought a new video card for 99 pounds
it is a radeon x1600 pro 512mb AGP x8
it is pretty fast but obviously not as good as PCI express
everybody says nvidia are better than ATI but i havent ever had an nvidia card so i cant say otherwise
ultimately it comes down to how much money you are willing to spend innit

LoneWolf1507 15:22 20 Feb 2007

Hi, thanks for your reply, I would assume that a if I have a Radeon then another Radeon would be a possible replacement, without to much problem?

Cheers again.

chub_tor 15:33 20 Feb 2007

I don't know if this helps but click here seems to be the same board, the part number is GA-8VT800.

chub_tor 15:35 20 Feb 2007

Sorry it's not the same, the ST has a SiS chipset tnad the VT a Via chipset.

LoneWolf1507 15:44 20 Feb 2007

Hi Chub_tor

Thanks for trying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?