Upgrade CPU/Motherboard for gaming [£400 budget]

Ben Elberts 19:25 12 Jun 2017

Hi I need help with choosing the right components and how best to install them, btw I am completely new to computers.

Here is what I have now: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-HD2 CPU: AMD A8-6600K APU RAM: 8GB OS: Windows 7 64-bit Graphics card: XFX Radeon R9 280x PSU: Corsair CX750M

The game that I play the most is CSGO, but I usually hit an average of 80 FPS and would like to increase this. Originally I wanted to upgrade my CPU to a amd fx 8350 but my current motherboard doesn't seem to support anything close to this. If there are any other upgrades you could recommend that fit in my budget, that would be appreciated.

Archonar 10:53 13 Jun 2017

If you do want to upgrade that processor, then you will need to replace the motherboard as it is designed for different socket types. See here for a list of AM3+ motherboards, which is the socket that you need. I would also get a 3rd party cpu cooler as the ones they send you usually can't keep it cool during gaming.

I would also say that getting another 8gb of RAM would be good, 16gb is becoming the standard for gaming pc's now. Not necessary just a recommendation.

As for installing it, there are loads of good tutorials on youtube, and many of us on here will be able to help you with any issues.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL